Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jun-2006, 09:33
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Dunlop 208gp Issues

Has anyone had or heard of issues with these tyres on the track??
Twice now the rear has just spun up and let go without warning!
After the first incident at the hairpin at cadwell i put it down to a bit to much gas on a coolish tyre, my mate and a few people told me after that that these tyres had a tendancy to offer good grip then just spin up without any warning. Well after the tyres had plenty of heat in them yesterday about 4 laps, it did exactly the same thing at Barn! Only i was probably going twice as quick! Knee was down just starting to pick the bike up then bang im spinning on my arse down the tarmac!
The tyre had balls of rubber the size of marbles around the edge of the tyre prior to that session and when i was recovered noticed the tyre edge had been polished up and was like a new tyre again on that edge!
Anyone heard of this before??

Chris
Old 30-Jun-2006, 09:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I used these a few times on the 996R with no real issues. I know that JPM used these a lot and really rated them - maybe PM him?

Tim
Old 30-Jun-2006, 09:51
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Ran these and 207GP and 209GP's without any problems at all, great grip but you do need to get heat in to them, never had a single problem on track with them but always took my time on the road from the off.
Old 30-Jun-2006, 09:51
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
I have run on 208's on my RS for 2 seasons and they have been fine, just fitting 209's for this year.

Always been good, but maybe I'm not pushing them hard enough to notice?
Old 30-Jun-2006, 09:58
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Suspension set up!

Ive ran 208s and now 209s.........both of these were bobbling up and lasting only 1-2 trackdays on the rear!

Had my suspension set up and bingo the wear rate has increased significantly, and the bobbling has dissapeared and replaced by wear that just looks right!
Old 30-Jun-2006, 09:59
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
The R6 cup boys seem to manage on them fairly well
Old 30-Jun-2006, 10:03
Ducati Corse

Jon ..

.. what tyres were you using when the R fell over on that roundabout? I seem to remember there was no warning.
Old 30-Jun-2006, 10:08
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners
.. what tyres were you using when the R fell over on that roundabout? I seem to remember there was no warning.

Is there a pattern developing?
Old 30-Jun-2006, 10:14
DaveB916

Hi,

2 years ago in Germany had terrible problems you are describing, next morning on checking the bike over noticed an oil leak at the rear shock (Ohlins).

Nice man at Ducati dealership next to Nurburgring took a new shock off a shop bike and fitted it for me, tyre wear back to normal and tyre no longer stripping rubber.

Have a quick check at the shock??
Old 30-Jun-2006, 10:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Almost certainly suspension setup, or maybe tyre pressure. Sounds like you're running out of travel as the bike squats and the tyre is shearing. Andy's right, bobbling is rarely a sign that the tyre is working correctly, more usually that it's sliding around.

Check that you're using all travel available on the rear, if not then back off on preload/compression damping, if you are then add in a little compression damping and check your sags.

If you're not using tyre warmers there's always a chance that the outside of the tyre is getting very hot while the carcass is cool, I get this on the DD bike, but the slides tend to be progressive rather than on/off.

Good luck.

Ali