Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Nov-2009, 15:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My usual route would be something like this, sadly its on the wrong side of the pond
http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...?itemid=696991

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Nov-2009, 15:12
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Looks a bit shiny for you?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 19-Nov-2009, 15:12
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by injected
..and the problems of warranty claims...

Chris, can you clarify whether new bikes entered will have any warranty? If not, can DUK do anything on the price to reflect that significant issue? That's how the program works (worked?) in the States. Licensed racer, new SBK: no warranty, dealer pricing.

I am not exactly clear on this issue, mainly because for obvious reasons I am not in the commercial loop between DUK and the dealer network.

What is clear that a number of dealers are offering very keen deals on new bikes to bonafida entrants to the series.

Normally I think I am right in saying that any bike that has been put on a race track invalidates the warrenty, I cant find mine to check at the moment.

One thing that the series may well prove is the relaibility of these new light weight motors.
Old 19-Nov-2009, 15:22
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Looks a bit shiny for you?

Could soon Matt Black it

Old 19-Nov-2009, 15:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by injected
..and the problems of warranty claims...

Chris, can you clarify whether new bikes entered will have any warranty? If not, can DUK do anything on the price to reflect that significant issue? That's how the program works (worked?) in the States. Licensed racer, new SBK: no warranty, dealer pricing.

Race it and the warranty goes west, pretty much the same deal with any new bike or car.

The deal on a new bike price appears to be the riding kit, plus anything else you can blag from the dealer by holding your breath, crying, or holding their favourite goldfish to ransom.

This from Ducati.com in relation to their bike.

WARRANTY
Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. guarantees all new motorcycles, standardized for road use, for a period of twenty-four (24) months, without mileage limit. Motorcycles used for any type of competition and/or for renting are not covered by the warranty. Components subject to wear, such as tires, clutch discs, brake pads, distribution belts and cables are also not covered by the warranty. Warranty coverage begins from registration.

In order to ensure warranty validity, Customer should also make the three obligatory maintenance checks at 1000 km (or six months), 10000 km (or 12 months) and 20000 km (or 24 months), at any official Dealer. Warranty will be not honoured for motorcycles repaired by unofficial Dealer networks, for improper use, for bikes with non-genuine parts, for damages incurred from accidents, overloads, negligent use, or improper maintenance. Further details are detailed in the Warranty/pre-delivery booklet, attached to every new motorcycle.

Why buy new unless you have to. There are some secondhand bikes about a for a good bit less than £8k.

Ray.
Old 20-Nov-2009, 22:00
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
DD is fecking great, the only reason I'm racing is because of it and the biggest factor was the price tag involved. I race for the enjoyment and have no intention of trying to work my way up to a WSB ride, just the same as why I play pub football and not interested in playing for Man Utd (plus they said I was too good for them).
I consider Sound Of Thunder as the next step up and the vast majority of front runners ride 1098s but their tyre bill was bigger than my bike plus entry fees!
So keep the price down and DD for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 20-Nov-2009, 23:06
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72
not interested in playing for Man Utd (plus they said I was too good for them).

Have a word with Dallas about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72

I consider Sound Of Thunder as the next step up and the vast majority of front runners ride 1098s but their tyre bill was bigger than my bike plus entry fees!

Talk to Dallas about that as well, we estimated £500 to £600 a day to race his 1098

If I was doing it all over again it would be
DD, Mini Twins, 848 and race the 848 in Streestocks with North Glos as well as Sound of Thunder, Powerbike and the Open

What I did do was
Novice 600, F600, Powerbike, Open, Streetstocks, SoT then DD and some Minitwins, bikes went CBR600FN, CBR600FS, CBR900RRP, CBR900RRV, TL1000SV, 916 Strada, R6, 748Bp, 600SS, 750SSie, 620SS,
I still ahve the CBR600FS, the TL1000SV and the R6

At some points I was doing 6 races a day, 12 races over the weekend in 3 different classes. Can't say it was cheap but with the shift pay and weekend enhancements funding wasn't an issue, it even got to th point where I was putting bikes together for my mate to race at the TT.

DD is by far the cheapest form of racing I have taken part in but if I was earning what I did when I was on shift I'd certainly be looking at progressing to the 848 series. When I moved in to Sound of Thunder it wasn't long before I was sharing the grid with Phil Bevan on an Ex INS Ducati and Mark Edwards on an Ex DFX 748RS and there was me on my TL1000SV road bike that I also raced in Streetstocks, needless to say it was outclassed in SoT something that can't happen in DD or with the 848s

Old 21-Nov-2009, 00:18
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
.... When I moved in to Sound of Thunder it wasn't long before I was sharing the grid with Phil Bevan on an Ex INS Ducati and Mark Edwards on an Ex DFX 748RS and there was me on my TL1000SV road bike that I also raced in Streetstocks, needless to say it was outclassed in SoT something that can't happen in DD or with the 848s

I don't know about that Kev....

I think Shep' and Sam West "outclassed" quite a few this season you must have noticed them disappearing into the wide blue yonder
Old 21-Nov-2009, 00:28
MotoGP God

But Charlie they weren't anywhere near the front runners in SoT, even I've beaten the odd RSV1000 and 996 on my 583, but take Pembrey, Phil Bevan does sub minute laps around there while the Class A lap record is a 1m 06s by Ian Coby and no matter how hard Ian pushed a 620 he's not going to find another 5 seconds a lap round there just to be with the front group as the bike just isn't capable.
There is a lot to be said for a race series where all the bikes are capable of the same lap time leaving it to the riders to sort out the winner of the race.

Old 21-Nov-2009, 13:38
Mille

Kev'....I knew exactly what you were getting at.....

....it was a joke that's why I put the smily's on the end