Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 21-Nov-2005, 09:42
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Replacing a 748R with an MV ?

Hi Wise ones
I notice some lucky people on the forum own MV's as well.
I am thinking of buying one but cannot find any good MV sites or forum's.
What are they like from a reliability point of view, servicing and spares.
Old 21-Nov-2005, 19:58
Ducati Corse

Do you mean a750 or a 1000 Keith?

The 750 is beautiful to look at, very quick steering and excellent handling but the engine just doesn't have enough go. The 1000 is an animal which needs a power commander to sort the fueling. Spares and servicing shouldn't be a problem now Proton own the company although the servicing costs are as expensive as Ducatis but only 4000 miles apart expect to pay £250 at 4000 miles and £525 at 8000. Reliability on Evo 3 engines is very good. Finish is also good.

Insurance is a real problem - try Footman James. Comfort isn't too bad as long as you're not too tall - I did 1600 miles in 4 days on mine and it didn't hurt too much. If it's an itch you have to scratch then do it
Old 21-Nov-2005, 23:34
Mille

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Thanks henners
It would be a used 750 evo3 in the stealth black. Saw one on e bay and fell in love.
I need to very occasionally take a pillion. I come from a 748R so i thought a 750 evo would match that for oomph.
I am a life long Ducati fan so i can forgive their "character traits" but i don't think i could tolerate it from another marque.
As for comfort, i am 6' 2 and am used to a 748 so i know how to suffer for my sins. As long as an MV wasn't worse i would be happy
Old 21-Nov-2005, 23:47
Mille

aye up keith , the stealth black one is the spr model , slightly dearer but better spec , unless it was just a painted special , evo 3,s are a fit motor your lookin at about 120 at the wheel !
ace
Old 22-Nov-2005, 00:09
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I had a 750 Brutale in a few months ago and while the bike was really pretty, well built and finished really well, I didn't like it one bit when I rode it.
I know i'm biased, but the power delivery was "all or nothing". It had been dyno'd and was putting about 112bhp out, but it was all above 8k or so. A GSXR600 has a better spread of power. A 748R would feel like a torque monster by comparison.............
I know it's a "naked" and the position may be a little different to the EVO, but I suffered really bad cramps in my left arm, several times. Didn't have long enough to figure what was causing it but probably suffered 4 or 5 in 30 miles of "spirited" riding.
I'd suggest you at least blag a test ride on one before stumping up the cash. If you can't ride the one you've found, try a dealer.
Everybody is different, I know, but my experience was enough for me to cross it of my list...........
Old 22-Nov-2005, 00:13
Montjuic

Mood: good
dont do it mate you will regret it get a 998 sps instead
Old 22-Nov-2005, 07:50
Mille

Mood: ok
i would say don't bother i had a 996 got the mv spr what a let down traded it within 5 weeks for a 999 stick with the ducati
Old 22-Nov-2005, 09:46
Mille

Thanks for the comments so far guys. The one i looked at is a paint job as its not an spr. I hoped the Evo 3 would be torquier. I am not interested in the basic version as its the lack of oomph that is such a leap from a v twin.
What i really want is a new 748R but thats not going to happen.
As posted before , i have been looking at an st4s for wdw 06.
The MV is sooo gorgeous though!
Old 22-Nov-2005, 10:23
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Henners and i went for many a good old blat when he owned his M V,i'm sure that he wont mind me saying but on full throttle the 748R had the" legs" on the MV ,not by much but enough.The MV didnt seem to have the mid range and thats despite a power commander and dyno set up at Cressent Suzuki and around 120BHP at the reat wheel.But...................

Do they look the poodles plums????

Oh yes siree.
Old 22-Nov-2005, 10:45
Ducati Corse

Yep - all the PC did was add power above 10,000rpm - not where it's needed. To be honest a 748R will stay with anything up to about 120mph