Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:23
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
...and if anyone was tested higher than that at Brands will they lose their points?

#if they were they should take a trophy!! After that race I'm surprised many made 50bhp as engines were so hot, especially without an oil cooler

bloke said to me mine was 3rd most powerful of those tested, dont know if that included A class or just B but thnk it was all bikes...not bad for an old road bike with just a jet kit & filter
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:42
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
#if they were they should take a trophy!! After that race I'm surprised many made 50bhp as engines were so hot, especially without an oil cooler

bloke said to me mine was 3rd most powerful of those tested, dont know if that included A class or just B but thnk it was all bikes...not bad for an old road bike with just a jet kit & filter

Think mine made 50.02 SAE which is high 53's DIN
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:56
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Think mine made 50.02 SAE which is high 53's DIN

jeez, sounds very good especially if hot after the race, not that I know much (only what others tell me!) but hot engine can lose what, 5% or more of power?

expect mine on a warm run would be 51ish if 49 hot
Old 15-Mar-2011, 20:11
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Sounds like there will be a lot of people losing points
Old 15-Mar-2011, 20:20
MotoGP God

Quote:
Sounds like there will be a lot of people losing points

who knows what values come out and how/when do you measure? If at the end of the race, power will be down even if only a little so do you say its its aboce XXbhp, which is on or just under the class limit, it has to be tested again later when cooler and if over, is it disqualification?

could get messy, espcially with dynos reading lost of differnt things!!!
Old 15-Mar-2011, 20:33
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

If there is a specified limit and someone is over it, doesn't that disqualify them? And if someone is over at the end of a race with a hot engine, then they will only be more over with a cooler engine.

(just playing Devils advocate)

...and I don't believe it would be right to raise the limit after the start of the season (if that is being considered).

However, you are right Bradders, because how exact a science is dyno testing? Unfortunately, it is written into the rules that we will be tested against a defined limit.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 20:39
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
[quote=bradders
bloke said to me mine was 3rd most powerful of those tested, [/quote]

Hmmmm

Craig
Old 15-Mar-2011, 22:12
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
...and if anyone was tested higher than that at Brands will they lose their points?

No Ron they won't as the Dyno used was an unknown quantity

But any bikes that did come out high will be first on the list for testing at the next available session and subject to the SAE figures and conversion figures generated by the Brands Dyno testing.

I ammended my earlier post and as far as the Parkitt Dyno goes we will probably be looking at a Class A figure of 60bhp (SAE) and a Class B figure of 49bhp (SAE)
I say probably as there is no intention of changing the stated limits in the rules which are Dynoject corrected DIN figures of 65bhp for Class A and 53bhp for Class B. Its just a matter of making sure the correct figures are used and applied to everyone

Most Dynos read slightly different from each other to be on the safe side your better off with one that reads slightly high, others will be quite accurate and the remainder will read slightly low, these are the ones that could land you in trouble, as you could have more power than you think and when tested at the track fall foul of the rules

When the figures were incorporated into the rules they were considered a fair amount of horsepower that should be acheiveable by many and although money and a good tuner could get you more the series is not about who can afford the best tuner its about being the best racer and having a even and fair playing field

as the rules say
***Dyno Testing – when available the intention will be to Dyno test the top 3 finishers in each class and a few at random, if tested after race 1 you will not be tested again after race 2 instead the next highest finisher shall be tested.
Dyno testing is carried out at the bike owners risk and refusal to be tested will result in disqualification from the results for that meeting***

As such Dyno testing will take place on hot engines and if anybody is getting their bike setup on a Dyno it makes sense to get the jetting/fueling suited to a hot engine as its a race bike and will be expected to run hot.

It doesn't matter what it makes when its cold as thats not how they will be tested and I for one wouldn't want my bike run up on a dyno for full power runs without a bit of pre-warming

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Mar-2011, 22:44
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
It doesn't matter what it makes when its cold as thats not how they will be tested and I for one wouldn't want my bike run up on a dyno for full power runs without a bit of pre-warming

why run an oil cooler if it doesnt make much difference? I'm thinking of the difference between warm - start of race - and steaming - end of race

i dont have one fitted, but have one to go on, and if it doesnt drain the power when hot then i wont bother, if hovere after 4/5 distance I'm losing 5% or more power I will....and most seem to have then fitted
Old 16-Mar-2011, 00:34
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
why run an oil cooler if it doesnt make much difference?

Who said that, certainly wasn't in anything I typed above

Define warm and Hot
Even with an oil cooler my bike gets hot, just not as hot as it would without one and as such it will not have as much of a power loss with the cooler as without it.
Engines have an optimum running temperature which is what your trying to acheive with a oil cooler, air ducting etc, and ideally thtas the temp you should have your bike up to when running it on a dyno especially if your seting fueling

From what I could see of my oil temp gauge my bike was running a lot cooler in race two than it did in race one, not suprising as the air temp had dropped.
If it had been really cold I probably would have covered part of the oil cooler,
Maybe you have noticed that some racers cover part of their radiators when the air temp drops right down, I wonder why that could be ? could be that to cold an engine isn't ideal, maybe they are trying to get to that optimum operating temperature.

So at the end of race two was my bike warm or hot ? I'm pretty sure it was warm before the RED lights went out at the start of the race
and if it was hot then what was it at the end of race one ? Hotter !!

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook