Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Apr-2011, 10:16
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
PMSL
I was waiting for Matty L to do the same to me last year

Gerrards in top no brakes, Edwinas 3rd 4th top... 2nd hairpin, 3rd bustop better drive down devils, and into gerrards.
Get your gearing spot on bradders on yours 14/46 do it!!
Well, I was doing low 1m04s with the same gearing from Brands (14/43). The only difference being that I was staying in 4th until the hairpin (too long for top), and rolling off for Gerrards. I don't understand how you could run 14/46 and not already be revving to 9-10,000 before Gerrards, let alone what you would be hitting coming out of it down to Edwinas (mine was already revving out on 14/44 on the run out of Gerrards). I suppose the shorter gearing helps round the twisty stuff and the longer helps in the faster stuff, and they balance eachother out round a whole lap. I suppose you would just choose the shorter gearing if it made you feel better going into Gerrards flat in top, even if it was slower
Old 09-Apr-2011, 13:04
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
Well, I was doing low 1m04s with the same gearing from Brands (14/43). The only difference being that I was staying in 4th until the hairpin (too long for top), and rolling off for Gerrards. I don't understand how you could run 14/46 and not already be revving to 9-10,000 before Gerrards, let alone what you would be hitting coming out of it down to Edwinas (mine was already revving out on 14/44 on the run out of Gerrards). I suppose the shorter gearing helps round the twisty stuff and the longer helps in the faster stuff, and they balance eachother out round a whole lap. I suppose you would just choose the shorter gearing if it made you feel better going into Gerrards flat in top, even if it was slower

Not on a later monster engine 9.5 just as you go under the bridge.

On yours 14 43 should be spot on.
Old 09-Apr-2011, 13:07
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Yep, but not with a bike
in its place I had a ACU Handbook a class room and a Test paper
Along with a pretty good run down on what to check on Vintage bikes and sidecars

Skids the Scrut
Old 09-Apr-2011, 18:04
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
as Steve says, different engine year Ron...atho I think the Dentist has same as yours (mid) and has gone 14/42....I was considering changing to 44 or 45 but think I'll give it a whirl as is...if its good enough for a top pot, its good enough for me
Old 10-Apr-2011, 07:47
500SD

Quote:
PMSL
I was waiting for Matty L to do the same to me last year

Gerrards in top no brakes, Edwinas 3rd 4th top... 2nd hairpin, 3rd bustop better drive down devils, and into gerrards.
Get your gearing spot on bradders on yours 14/46 do it!!

I am going to have to have a look at my gearing I am certain I have been using a 15T front. My planned gearing for Mallory was going to be 15/46 rather than your 14/46. Looks like I will be packing a different front sprocket??

Damned complicated this gearing lark.
Mark
Old 10-Apr-2011, 09:08
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ells
I am going to have to have a look at my gearing I am certain I have been using a 15T front. My planned gearing for Mallory was going to be 15/46 rather than your 14/46. Looks like I will be packing a different front sprocket??

Damned complicated this gearing lark.
Mark

I was told very early; 14 everywhere!! have been running it since Pembrey I think last year and wont be coming off
Old 10-Apr-2011, 13:59
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
as Steve says, different engine year Ron...atho I think the Dentist has same as yours (mid) and has gone 14/42....I was considering changing to 44 or 45 but think I'll give it a whirl as is...if its good enough for a top pot, its good enough for me

I have lapped mallory 100's of times and 14 46 was the best tbh Paul

You have seen the vid's which Phil did and could not match the drive i could
get out of edwinas, hairpin, bustop.
I have said before "Get the slow bits quick" and your on for a good lap of mallory. You just need big nads to enter gerrards fast.
Phil always caught me on the straight bits but it was all a bit late as i was already at the hairpin, gerrards, and edwinas. (with a bit of sand baggin as he found out) lol
Good luck Paul and keep the above in mind
Old 11-Apr-2011, 11:17
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
I have lapped mallory 100's of times and 14 46 was the best tbh Paul

You have seen the vid's which Phil did and could not match the drive i could
get out of edwinas, hairpin, bustop.
I have said before "Get the slow bits quick" and your on for a good lap of mallory. You just need big nads to enter gerrards fast.
Phil always caught me on the straight bits but it was all a bit late as i was already at the hairpin, gerrards, and edwinas. (with a bit of sand baggin as he found out) lol
Good luck Paul and keep the above in mind
I have been thinking about this a lot! I can't see how if you are 9,500 at the bridge you will have any bits of your engine left in one piece by Edwinas. I was hitting 8,500 at the bridge, staying in top, and revving out by the exit of Gerrards. If I shortened the gearing to hit 9,500 at the bridge I would be revving out all the way round Gerrards and down to Edwinas. Restricting your pace like that, along with the abuse the engine will take over 18 laps can't be the best way to a quick lap. I agree you will have better drive in the tighter section, but if the faster bike has already passed you coming out of Gerrards it will not matter. At the end of the day it is whatever works for the rider to get their best lap.... because if they are faster round a whole lap than the next guy they should stay ahead regardless of who is quicker where.
Old 11-Apr-2011, 13:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Not on a later monster engine 9.5 just as you go under the bridge.

For Steve's later engine that was 118mph in top, to get the same speed out of a 583 engine with the 2:1 Primary you would need 15/42 and also rev to 8750 or go 15/41 and rev to 8500

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Apr-2011, 14:13
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
For Steve's later engine that was 118mph in top, to get the same speed out of a 583 engine with the 2:1 Primary you would need 15/42 and also rev to 8750 or go 15/41 and rev to 8500

I am a little puzzled. I figured that 15F and 42R on a 2.0 primary was equivalent to 15F and 46 R (as 42*2/1.848 = 45 and a bit). Therefore I planned to set my gearing at 15/46 on a late munster to match running 15/42 on my old SS. Now dropping to 14 on the front would means that my revs would be about 1 - 1.5 K higher ?? I really get what Steve says about the drive and think it will work better for me (personally) through Gerards but dont understand the comparisons.

Puzzled??
Mark