Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Dec-2005, 18:37
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
swing arm removal 996 - engine out or tweak frame

Hi,

Looking for some advice. Need to take the swing arm out of a 996. Assuming that the mount / pivot bolt is free is it possible to sprag the frame open to drop the swing arm out, or, is it an engine out job ?

If it is an engine out job how much do I need to remove to lower the engine/swing arm low enough to get the arm off.

I guess I would have to remove the body work, tank and airbox, air tubes ... can I leave the injectors in place ? Would I need to remove anything else.

I have already been advised by 1 very valued DSC member to remove the engine, it's not that I don't trust his advise it's just that I'd like to see what a few others say on the subject.

Have stripped a 749 to a bare frame, but, never took more than plastics and airbox off a 996.

[Edited on 18-12-2005 by Carbon749]
Old 18-Dec-2005, 19:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Hmmm perhaps not info for the masses, But.
you need to lower the back of the engine just enough to get the two sleeves out which should be possible by removing the swing arm bolt and the rear engine mount then let the engine swing down just enough with a trolley jack to release the swingarm.
you will need to be very careful though with regard to clearance of stuff.
and you will still have to remove allot of stuff to be able to move it anyhow. faring, Exhaust's, air box, throttle bodies and so on. in which case you are only a few block connectors away from unplugging the whole thing.
up to you ultimately but just go slow. last thing you want to do is graunch something up
Old 18-Dec-2005, 19:32
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
I would say you might as well remove the lot and lift the frame.

I removed mine by fitting ratchet straps to the cross beams in my garage, very easy to do it on your own then
Old 18-Dec-2005, 19:32
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
How different was the 749 then? swingarm removal??
Old 18-Dec-2005, 19:39
Big Twin

Did a full strip down on the 749 .... down to bare frame, tyres off, headlight and wiring out etc etc So never looked at just trying to get the arm out on it's own.

From memory, which is fague at best (blame the bud), the arm should come out on it's own once you have the pivot bolt ond suspension mount out. Main difference is that you have to split the chain on a 749/999 to remove the arm.
Old 19-Dec-2005, 22:04
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
I think keefers idea sounds best to me.

When I serviced my swing arm bearings and needle rollers etc the other day, I had to remove the swing arm to get to um. ( Of course)
Thing was I was dropping the engine out of my bike anyhow. I just locked the bike down in a black and decker workmate and when ready, simply lifted the frame off of the engine, removing the swing arm at the same time. Took two of us to lift it up mind.

As Keefer has stated, if ya can do it the way he described, then all well and good. But you are only a few steps away from dropping the whole engine out.

All I can say is that my swing arm spindle was ok and just tapped out. All nicely cleaned and greased up on re assembly.

DC.
Old 20-Dec-2005, 15:05
Ducati Corse

Bottle jack.
Old 20-Dec-2005, 21:12
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Bottle jack.

This is the option I'd heard ..... just not that happy with it.