Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Dec-2005, 18:32
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
sprocket change and chain adjustment

Just about to change both sprockets on the 916, the rear with a Renthal carrier.
My only concern is a small chapter in the haynes manual it reads.
Ensure the Bearing holder is rotated in the correct direction so that the rear wheel stub axle axis remains below the centre point of the bearing holder.
I truly have no idea what they are saying, it show a diagram but I am baffled.
can someone put this in idiot terms.....
Old 27-Dec-2005, 18:46
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The chain is adjusted on your bike by rotating the eccentric rear hub anti clockwise looking at the rear wheel from the side of the chain.

The hub is like placing a 5p piece on top of a 10p piece to its outer edge. if you put the 5p at 7 o clock on top of the 10p then move it past 6 then 5 o clock you can see the effect it will have in both tightening the chain and altering the ride height.

As this will cause the rear of your bike to rise and fall slightly you need to adjusted back to your chosen ride height using the tie rod.

So first thing before undoing or dismantling anything is to measure the height of your rear to a fixed point somewhere on your seat......say around the campione del monde bit, down in a straight line to the centre of the wheel hub.

Still with me?
if so ill go on..........

[Edited on 27-12-2005 by andyb]
Old 27-Dec-2005, 18:52
Mille

yes I follow what you are saying, even after the two pints of tetley smooth flow I have just consumed.
Thanks for your help....
Old 27-Dec-2005, 20:25
Mille

Any more Andy.....?
Old 28-Dec-2005, 19:23
Mille

was it something I said, deserted in my hour of need..
Old 28-Dec-2005, 21:37
BSB Star

So youve sussed out the ride height bit?

To change the rear sprocket carrier you need to undoe the big nut. Can be done easist (without air tools) with the rear wheel on the ground. Loosening the nut before taking the chain off helps.

If you are using the same chain with a new front sprocket and a new rear carrier, are you going to change the sizes, number of teeth?

To adjust the chainall you need to do is undoe the two bolts on the rear of the swingarm, then using the big c spanner in your tool kit turn the castle flange behind the rear sprocket.

Again looking at it from the chain side of the bike, to tighten the chain, turn the castle flange anti clockwise. and vice versa to loosen. thus keeping the 5p piece in the lower half of the 10p piece! still in the game?
Old 28-Dec-2005, 21:37
BSB Star

So youve sussed out the ride height bit?

To change the rear sprocket carrier you need to undoe the big nut. Can be done easist (without air tools) with the rear wheel on the ground. Loosening the nut before taking the chain off helps.

If you are using the same chain with a new front sprocket and a new rear carrier, are you going to change the sizes, number of teeth?

To adjust the chainall you need to do is undoe the two bolts on the rear of the swingarm, then using the big c spanner in your tool kit turn the castle flange behind the rear sprocket.

Again looking at it from the chain side of the bike, to tighten the chain, turn the castle flange anti clockwise. and vice versa to loosen. thus keeping the 5p piece in the lower half of the 10p piece! still in the game?
Old 29-Dec-2005, 10:25
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
right then. i think i may have messed up somewhat when i changed mine over.

i changed my chain n rockets a little while ago and changed the sizes to 14/41 but had to get a larger chain 96link instead of the 94 link on it as i just couldnt get the 94link to fit. now ive been using the bike my new 96link chain has become so slack it wont even tighten up to anywhere near how tight it should be/was. is this the correct amount of links needed or do i have one to many. if i remember i did have a play around with the eccentric hub whilst changing the carriers over

any advice please on how many links i should be using

cheers

deej
Old 29-Dec-2005, 14:33
Montjuic
Bikes: 996s; KTM500SX

This is the chart I go by posted by Shazam a while a go (Scroll down the thread)

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...d.php?tid=3155
Old 29-Dec-2005, 18:41
Big Twin

Looks like you may have done summut wrong deej, the 96 links should be OK, if anything a little on the short side for your set up of 14/41. It should be OK for a 39 upto a 42 rear.

Are you sure you have 96!

[Edited on 29-12-2005 by Harv748]