Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Apr-2004, 12:23
Bevel Head

996 Still having starting problems

This problem seems to be getting worse, and I really have no clue what it is.

Battery is fully charged. When I press the starter button there is a small click. I am guessing that this is the starter solenoid.

This will happen maybe once, and even up to 20 times before the bike will turn over. It has been getting worse recently.

I have checked and cleaned the white connector on the solenoid and also all of the connections from the battery and to the starter itself.

Am I looking at a solenoid problem or a starter motor problem? Is there anyway to test to see what is happening?

Many thanks in advance

Lloydy
Old 18-Apr-2004, 12:45
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
lloydy u can ring me on o7971 673899 ! .. mav
Old 18-Apr-2004, 13:26
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Firstly, check that the click when you press the starter button is definitely coming from the solenoid...if it is, you have proved that your low current starter circuit is not at fault.
Next is the solenoid...easiest way to check out if it's the solenoid is to short out the two terminals for the high current feed to the starter motor.
Pull back the two rubber boots covering the terminals on the back of the solenoid & short them out, easiest to use something like a pair of taper nosed pliers etc.
If the starter motor spins, there is a problem with the solenoid...if it doesn't, it's either the starter motor or the cables -cables can fail although it's unusual.
( The weak points in any electrical circuit are the terminals...they can come loose or corrode. )
To check the cables - disassemble, clean, grease ( dielectric or vaseline ) and reassemble the starter feed - battery to sol, sol to starter and earth to battery.
Hope this helps.
Andy
Old 18-Apr-2004, 17:34
Montjuic

Mood: FREEEZZZING
I have the same problem with my bike, but when I push the starter button it doesnt make a noise but I shorted the wires at the back of the solenoid and the motor turned over, so IF I understand correctly my solenoid is the problem.
I can push the start button and after about 20 times the bike will start , so is it still the solenoid ?
Thanks
Old 18-Apr-2004, 18:34
Big Twin

No Rick.
You have only proved so far that the motor and the high current feed are OK.

To prove the solenoid is faulty, you must first prove that the operating path for the solenoid is good.

With me so far?

The basis for electrical fault location is to start at the beginning of the circuit and move forward only when each component or stage is proved to be ok.

You first need to prove that the starter button is sending power to the solenoid when it is pressed.

As Lloydy's solenoid clicks each time the button is pressed he has a good Low Current starter circuit - you may not have.

I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike so can't say for sure, but most starter circuits simply connect a 12v feed down to the solenoid to energise it when the button is pressed.

Start by checking that there is power being fed to the starter button.

If there is power - the next step is to ensure that this power is then passed down to the solenoid.

If your wiring harness has a plug close to the starter switch, by shorting out the two pins to and from the starter button, you can prove the button is ok or not.

If this makes no difference, take the white plug out from the back of the solenoid & look for 12v on the contact in the plug coming from the starter button - the power should be there only when you press the button.

If no, suspect either the switch itself or the wiring between the switch & the solenoid.

If yes, ensure that the other terminal on the solenoid plug goes to earth.

If you have a complete circuit from battery to starter switch to solenoid then to earth, you can at this point say it is the solenoid that's faulty!

I would suspect that you have a poor contact somewhere in the low current circuit.

I have previously had this problem and it was the starter button itself but not on a Ducati.

I hope you can follow this - good luck!

Andy
Old 18-Apr-2004, 20:33
Montjuic

Mood: FREEEZZZING
UMM no , I must be dumb, oh well off to the Ducati shop for me
But thanks
Old 18-Apr-2004, 21:43
Big Twin

Try taking a look at the attached...it's a simplified version of a starter circuit.
If you can look at this and read through my last reply you hopefully will be able to see what I was on about.
If you follow the flow of electricity from the ignition switch to the fuse box through the starter switch to the solenoid, all that you are doing is looking for 12v being there from the starter button to the solenoid when you press the button.
It shows how the low & high current circuits work separately and meet at the solenoid which is just a heavy duty switch operated by the low current circuit.
Andy
Old 19-Apr-2004, 09:28
Bevel Head

Eeeeeeekkkkk

Ok.. just shorted out the solenoid as suggested.. Didnt expect the sparks!!

But the motor turned straight away and she fired up.

So, am I right in assuming that the fault lies with the solenoid now then? (are they expensive?)

Also, I have used Coppaslip on the terminals as I had no grease etc.. is this ok, obvisously i will clean it all off when I change the faulty part, just wondered if this might be a contributing feature?

Just looked in the workshop manual and I think I need part 397.4.001.1A (remote switch)

Lloydy

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by Lloydy]
Old 19-Apr-2004, 10:52
Big Twin

I wouldn't use copaslip, Halfords sell small tubes of dielectric grease ( for battery terminals ), or good old vaseline will do at a pinch.
If you really wanted to be 110% certain before ordering a solenoid, could you borrow one & plug it in?
If not..on what you've posted I'd say it's got to be the cause of your problems.
Andy
Old 19-Apr-2004, 11:01
Bevel Head

Excellent

Cheers rushjob..

I will be popping into halfords today then and getting some proper grease.

Will order the new solenoid today.. I guess I should get some new clutch plates too!!

Mark