Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Mar-2004, 11:23
Bevel Head

Pressure plate, alarm and starter motor.

Right... me again... he he he

Managed to get the new pressure plate on this morning, not too difficult to remove the old. Put the new one on, making sure that the dot was in the right place. Put in the new springs, caps and bolts. After progressively tightening them, they were al tight, so I tried the clutch lever. It is now all floppy, there seems to be no, for want of a better word, pressure at all.. Have I done something wrong. I started the bike too, to see if that would make a difference, and the same thing happens.

My bike has been having problems starting recently, I have put it down to the battery, as I was getting loads of little clicks when trying. After jump starting it and having a good ride I now get nothing.
Just reaOnly one click from the starter motor relay. I have checked and wires/connections, from the battery to the relay, then onto the starter motor, all seems fine. Is this time for a new starter motor? Or is it something else?

And... obvisously, I disconnected the battery to look at the motor and relay, but my bloody alarm doesnt like it, I have to keep on resetting it every 15/20 secs as it arms itself then goes off (I assumse as the battery has been disconnected). It is a Datatolol System 3. Is there anyway I can disconnect it fully whilst I work on the bike.

I have just done a search, and it maybe seems like I need to charge the battery. My only issue is that I cannot take it off the bike because of the alarm. How the hell do I charge it then? Can it be done on the bike?

I look forward to your useful replies as always.

Mark

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Lloydy]
Old 20-Mar-2004, 12:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Check that the pressure plate is actually touching the outer most clutch plate.
Most plates align on the splines of the clutch drum. If you haven't aligned it with these then it'll hold off, effectively disengaging the clutch and also making the lever sloppy. It only has to be a few degrees off. Back the clutch springs off or remove them, fit the plate and engage it on the basket then fit the first spring to hold it all in place.

Starter. Check the small white connector on the back of the starter solenoid. These can and do work loose. I'd doubt your starter motor is the problem. At worst it could be the solenoid itself. Other than that, the problem with the alarm could be contributing?

To remove the battery, you first need to put the alarm into service mode. Disarm, turn ignition on then press the arm button. You'll get a single beep. Turn ignition off and remove battery.
You'll get 4 beeps every minute or so to remind you it's in service mode.............and it'll really get on your nerves to
Old 20-Mar-2004, 18:09
Mille

Mood: Shiney
Just to add to Nellys alarm service mode tip, when you put it in service mode the first time and it blips three or four times, turn the ignition back on take it out of service mode and then put it back into service mode, remove key and it will now only blip once.
Old 21-Mar-2004, 20:28
Bevel Head

OK, an update.

Battery now fully charged, went in this morning, and she started first time.. Stalled, as I didnt give it enough revs. Tried to start again. click... tried again.. click... tried again. click. (the click is coming from the relay, is this the same as the solenoid?).. Tried once more and she fired up..

So, I think that I have eliminated the battery from the equasion.

Nelly, I checked the white wire that goes into the top of the starter relay, is this the one you meant?

Any more ideas?