Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 14-Jul-2003, 09:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Oil Leak from clutch!!!!!!!!!!! (aint it supposed to be a dry one?)

Think I may have found the reason for my 'off' at Croft last weekend.

On removing the panels the other day, I found one of the clutch cover bolts had vibrated loose and gone AWOL.

Nothing strange, or harmful in that you say.........I found oil all down my RHS crankcase and all over the rear brake pedal and master cylinder. Although I could not find any traces of oil on my rear tyre/zorsts, I am convinced that this was the reason for my 'off'. The way the bike left go rar first points towards oil residue of somesort in my book.

Spoken to Stewart Johnstone and he says that the factory have a tendancy on the clutch bolt holes to drill too far into the casing and go right though or at best, leave a thin wall that then gives way under the oil pressure.

The bolt in question was the one at 3 o-clock when you look at the clutch from the RHS.

Anyone else had this and know of a cure...

Have tried silicone sealer in the hole and on the bolt but the oil was back when I returned from the GP yesterday.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks. Guy

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by Guido]