Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 29-Nov-2011, 11:47
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Agree Ron, look so much neater and less to damage - and I'm likely to - I think technically there may be even less space, like I say I don't have one to check at the mo, so as Kev said its probably outside of the subframe as Badger

To get the flow equal, from what I have read you need to have either the same length pipes or one larger than the other to compensate. Which I think yours did if I recall as it went past the hoop.
Old 29-Nov-2011, 17:09
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

A wise man told me that you should think at the pipework as volume not length. A short fat pipe will be equal in volume to a long thin one.
Old 29-Nov-2011, 17:37
MotoGP God

bit like me versus Hugh? PMSL
Old 29-Nov-2011, 19:19
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spjallen
A wise man told me that you should think at the pipework as volume not length. A short fat pipe will be equal in volume to a long thin one.

hopefully they'll have yours as a template for mine
Old 29-Nov-2011, 21:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
Paul, you could definitely do underseat, and it would work. It looks the nuts and saves a lot of work in an off (of which I had too many)..

In the 7 seasons of DD I've had a few offs as has Kev P and I can't recall either of us having to replace an exhaust, mine has always been side mounted, started with a Micron can off my CBR6 and then fitted the Harris Can and put the Micron back on the CBR6
Kev P had underseat exhausts for the first two seasons but has run side mounted pipes since then.
Dallas has also had a few crashes and the only time I remember him damaging an Exhaust was in his big crash at Pembrey hairpin when the Brake Disc exploded, the exhaust from that crash is still useable unlike a lot of the bike.

I suppose costs need considering, side mounted cans are easy to pick up secondhand and fairly cheap, so easy enough and cheap enough to carry a spare. Undeseat exhausts are usually bespoke systems that cost a few hundred quid to get made and often they are compromised by the space and gaps available for routing them. Add to that they must weigh more as extra pipework is required and that weight is rear biased.

Certainly works in opposition to fitting a lighter fuel tank, as in take a couple of Kilos off the front and add a chunk of that saving to the rear, go figure

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 29-Nov-2011, 21:21
MotoGP God

only one I can remember destroying a can was that Ali geezer at the Doom, and he took 3 good goes at it till he got it right!!

Last edited by bradders : 29-Nov-2011 at 21:28.
Old 29-Nov-2011, 21:27
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Certainly works in opposition to fitting a lighter fuel tank, as in take a couple of Kilos off the front and add a chunk of that saving to the rear, go figure

and weight is important...and better to keep weight low to the ground isn't it?! altho I cant have my shortyy can
Old 29-Nov-2011, 21:33
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Sure ley a can thats meets the required 105dB limit is all that is required, whether it be long or short............
Old 29-Nov-2011, 21:45
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker V2
Sure ley a can thats meets the required 105dB limit is all that is required, whether it be long or short............

think skids is saying it wont. Answer maybe get a 2nd hand one off ebay, fit it, test it and if no good change to a longer one
Old 29-Nov-2011, 21:53
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
my 50mm standard length (?) carbon race can was measuring 98 db all last season.