Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 25-Aug-2004, 18:35
Montjuic

Casoli carbon - quality?

Where do Casoli rank in the quality of their carbon ... up there with the best of 'em?

Andy
Old 25-Aug-2004, 18:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Yes, as soon as they remove the fibreglass that's underneath!
Old 25-Aug-2004, 19:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm...just got a vented front mudguard from Casoli.

Well not exactly from them directly, I got it for £70 off eBay but it's a brand new Casoli item that had only been on the bike for 200 miles. I believe the seller - it's spotless.

Anyhow, I can't see any glass fibre involved in it's construction and the quality looks top notch to me
Old 25-Aug-2004, 22:09
Mille

Hi Andy,
I also got a vented front fender, airbox covers, vented clutch cover, key guard & hugger all in carbon from Casoli, & all seem top notch..suede seat, LED brake light, larger size clutch slave cylinder & all fitted for a minimal price. It seems that some members have had problems with Casoli in the past...But (so far) I can't fault them.
Illya.
Old 25-Aug-2004, 22:42
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I like the look of their products the finsh looks great.
Old 25-Aug-2004, 23:54
888 at Last !!!

I have had various carbon & parts over the years, although they are not the cheapest. They have always been very good.
Old 26-Aug-2004, 11:20
Big Twin

As felix says...bought a shock guard from them some time ago...and after fitting an Ohilins shock I had to modify it a bit...so out came the hacksaw!

MMMMMMh...having worked in the composite industry for a number of years...I'd never come across the white carbon that was sandwiched in the middle!!!!!!!!

Compare their prices to other companies selling 100% carbon products...but don't think you are getting the same product. You have been warned.

And this is not a personal thing against Casoli in anyway...I'm not the only one to find this out!
Old 26-Aug-2004, 17:01
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
I believe Dave Miles moulded much of the 9** stuff from QB items early on, and did indeed send stuff out with fibreglass content !! (I know from experience!)

Stuff looks good cosmetically (which lets face it is why most people buy this stuff), but not in the carbon dream/moto corsa league fpr build quality/durability/strength..but then again you pay for that..

Cheers
Nat
Old 26-Aug-2004, 20:20
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I see carbon being layed up every day and its all black alright all the way through. sad to here that Harv748 and Felix we don't like being ripped off..
Old 15-Sep-2004, 14:47
Mille

A friend of mine manufactures wet lay up carbon for a variety of retailers and they make 2 grades of parts, race which is iether carbon only or light thin glassfibre or road which is carbon with a backing of chopped glass fibre which is there to prevent cracking at mounting points etc or fa far heavier grade of glassfibre. This is the result of many years experience inc working for the harris brothers making bodywork for their 500 gp bike, most race fairings do not last long enough to show signs of fatigue etc but if you paid hundreds of pounds for a carbon fairing and it fell apart after 6 months you would be pretty annoyed! Their is also the problem with product liability as a detatched 916 fairing side could do a lot of damage to a pedestrian etc.
I am not trying to defend casoli but thought I could explainn why some manufacturers use a glass backing.

dave

[Edited on 15-9-2004 by DAVE HARRIS]