Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Apr-2006, 18:07
Bevel Head

coolent problem

i recently had my 748 serviced and its had some up and down problems with the water on it when i do a long trip it seems to pressure up the system and eject the water out of the pressure relief pipe on the second exspansion tank (between the cylinders) i have had the bike back at the garage and they said that the cap on the header tank was faulty the replaced it free of charge and i hoped that it would sort it.

I noticed that the coolent level had gone down again tho and no its doing the same thing again is it likely to have a i air lock or a blockage some where is there a bleed valve on the water system and do these so called radiator flush products work ??? or is it ment to do this and u just gota keep i eye on the coolent everyweek??

the temp never go's over 180 and sits at 140 most of the time just seems that when i do a 180 mile ride on it it ****is out all over the engine.

any help would be great
Old 25-Apr-2006, 09:05
Bevel Head

Mood: Horney
Just to help a little i usually do a 40 - 80 mile ride and my temp gage usually sits smack bang in the middle, only when im stationary in town that the temp goes up to 100-110 son i could think it may be a blockage.
YOu could try draining the coolant off and putting a different coolant in. i use Silkoline pro cool and now problems so far
hope this helps a little

Jamie
Old 25-Apr-2006, 11:32
Bevel Head

i had the system apart last night seems to be ok now got the bike up to temp sat at around 140-170 i wont no till i do a long trip

i drained a fair amount from the catch tank and found that the return hose was squashed between the air ducts on the airbox time will tell if not ill have to get it looked at some places are saying its possible i have a head gasket seaping i bloody hope it aint that
Old 25-Apr-2006, 15:03
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
I have heard that the usual suspect for leaking head gaskets is at the back of the rear head beside the exhaust, if it is leaking then you will be able to see staining without removing any panels etc. I thought I had that fault with mine, but it turned out to be the water pump seal, which filled the water system with mayonnaise.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 15:12
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Paul

The cooling fan is working I assume

Phil
Old 25-Apr-2006, 17:05
500SD

Air lock???
Old 26-Apr-2006, 09:34
Bevel Head

the fan works onlu about 240 tho i been told thats fine there is a water build up around the cylinder on the back but that is pressured water from the catch tank stupidly ducati decided to have the waste pipe 2 inches long and pointing to the cylinder so you instantly think the worst

it all seems ok no ill just keep a eye on it i thik it was a air lock and when i drained it and re did it it sorted its self out