Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Oct-2006, 23:40
Montjuic

Mood: The Wah rock so hard!!
fluid in clutch window? (748)

I seem to have some fluid splashing around in the window in the clutch casing is this right?

My clutch has stopped working properly and i've been trying to find the source of the problem, my guess is a seal has gone on the inside. I'm gonna take it appart to have a look, but does anyone know of any thing i should be looking out for? cheers
Old 16-Oct-2006, 06:15
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergray
I seem to have some fluid splashing around in the window in the clutch casing is this right?
That window on the clutch side casing is the oil level window!I would be very worried if there WAS'NT any fluid in there.
Hang on tho,we are talking about the r/h side of the bike are'nt we?There is a window on the other side of the bike too.This is for checking the ignition timing.(Look carefully and you will see a little pointer)You will see oil splashing around there from time to time.
Whats wrong with the clutch?It runs dry,so there should be no oil in there.Could be just a build up of dust on the plates.Half hour job to whip 'em out and give them a clean.
Here's a pic of the r/h side of the bike.(Yes,I know its a 998R,not the 748!)
Note the clutch bulge in the engine and the oil level window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s099807g.jpg (43.6 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by KeefyB : 16-Oct-2006 at 06:20.
Old 17-Oct-2006, 08:30
Montjuic

aah!! right! i (being a bit new to fiddling) presumed the clutch was on the left side of the engine, but now you mention it i can remember seeing open clutches, always on the right! doh!

yeah he problem arose on a track day, clutch lever just pulled straight back to the grip with nothing happening! screwed in the little screw everything fine for four laps same trouble again, screw still tight, fluid still in the resevoir, i'm be-fuddled! if i go back to me bike now i bet the clutch will work for a little while. maybe the plates need changing it is an old bike!
Old 17-Oct-2006, 10:49
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
Sounds like you have bolied the clutch fluid or got a problem with the slave cylinder.

Had a similar thing happen at a track day. lost pressure at the lever, Came back after a short while but then went again. Replaced the old rubber hose (94 916) with a braided steel hose and new fluid. Proplem solved.

Should have really done it before i went.

Last edited by Mello-Yellow : 17-Oct-2006 at 10:53.
Old 17-Oct-2006, 12:54
Ducati Corse

You shouldn't be touching that screw, it'll probably make the clutch drag now. It's usually got a dab of thread lock on it. You problem is likely to be the slave cylinder on the way out or just old clutch fluid.
Old 18-Oct-2006, 22:03
Montjuic

well the fluid is fairly new ,changed before the track day. What i reckon to be the slave cylinder on the side of the bike, (at the other end of the hose), seems clean as does the rest of the system i can see. Is the slave cylinder on the inside?

I'll probably put a braided hose on when i pull the clutch apart, it looks better if nothing else!
Old 18-Oct-2006, 23:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
dude the slave is on the outside by the sprocket
now don't get me wrong but it sounds like you need to do allot more research before you start taking or tackling things by your self
get a Haynes manual and follow it through.
look at lots of pictures and get a good feel for the bike.
there is loads of info out there
Old 20-Oct-2006, 16:44
Montjuic

Talking

Wise words Keefer! i certainly be getting a haynes, I'll also have experinced mates on hand! Nothing like diving in at the deep end!
I kinda Knew the slave was there as i've bleed the fluid myself, but it never hurts to ask.
Some one told me that a seal can go inside behind the plates which is what made me wonder, and these italians love to be different! My SV was either more simple or maybe i wasn't quite as scared to fudge it up!!
Old 20-Oct-2006, 17:01
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The slave cylinders are renowed for leaking. Sounds like that is your problem. When you pull the lever in you'll probably hear a squelching noise from behind the sprocket cover. You'll also see fluid running from the bottom of the sprocket area?
Either replace with OE item, Evoluzione replacement or an after market cylinder and get a lighter clutch to boot.
Before you do anything though, back that screw out of the lever again to it's original position. It controls the return of the master cylinder. Screwing it in will not allow it to return and the clutch system will "pump up" and the clutch will eventually begin to slip.
Old 20-Oct-2006, 23:39
Montjuic

Sounds bang on then, there is fluid coming out of there! i'll listen tomorrow aswell but i'm sure your right nelly. my lever is a budget replacement, so presumed the screw was just an adjuster as there is no numbered position selector like on the OE lever.
So i might not have to change my plates after all!