Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 31-Mar-2012, 21:34
Bevel Head
Bikes: 1098s, 600ss

Starter Joys

One for the boys who have the knowledge here. After my starter woes at brands and a fragged kill switch am rewiring the race bike. Too old for all that push startin.
Question is I still have the general relay between the kill switch and starter solenoid etc. Can I bypass this on the loom as seems to be just one more thing to fail. I have a kill switch which starts the pump on one button and spins it over on a seperate button. Also think the solenoid dead so can anyone advise where I could get one.
Old 31-Mar-2012, 22:19
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerBunny
One for the boys who have the knowledge here. After my starter woes at brands and a fragged kill switch am rewiring the race bike. Too old for all that push startin.
Question is I still have the general relay between the kill switch and starter solenoid etc. Can I bypass this on the loom as seems to be just one more thing to fail. I have a kill switch which starts the pump on one button and spins it over on a seperate button. Also think the solenoid dead so can anyone advise where I could get one.

Yes you can Dean, it was my demise at Brands year before last. Using the same relay connector block a 50mm long piece of wire with a male lucar at each end and bridge between the power to the relay and where the relay power out is. Can't recall the location from memory but its not rocket science. Or will sort it at Snett for you.
Old 31-Mar-2012, 22:27
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dean, Kill switches aren't normally designed to take the current required to run a bike, although you can get away with it, that is until it gives up the Ghost as the one on my CBR6 did half way round Gerrards in 1998.
If you want to do away with the relay I'd replace it with a 10 Amp Switch from Maplin and do a bit of rewiring.
As for Solinoids there are plent around that do the same job and without the stupid 2-pin connector that causes enough problems of its own. There are some around off Jap bikes that are far better suited to a race bike as they provide the +12 Volt take off for the Harness and some also house the main fuse

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 01-Apr-2012, 09:51
Bevel Head
Bikes: 1098s, 600ss

As usual Phil and Kev you are the fonts of all knowledge. Thanks for the help guys and Phil if my usual mechanical numptiness raises its head I may have to take you up on your offer. Will give it a go an see if I can't blow some more fuses. Better than the heart attack I nearly had pushin it round the paddock at Brands. Thanks guys