Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 21-Jul-2011, 21:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Sounds like one of those rules that was a waste of energy writing!

Not really as it stops people brining in a ringer for the last stages of the championship. I've seen it done elsewhere.

And what harm does the rule do to those that have been racing in the series for the whole season

As for a couple of Non Championship riders wanting to enter rounds such as Cadwell and Oulton where there is space on the grid, I can't see a problem with that providing they are DSC members and pay a day fee to join New Era and a nominal DD registration fee with completed registration form (may want to check them out with the ACU regards previous experience)

And although the riders will be non point scoring they can still pick-up trophies

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 21-Jul-2011, 21:11
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
To be honest I think a top rate (ex) racer would fail in DD.
DD is so bare bones I think a pro would bin it due to lack of basic racing skills/support.
Ain't Carl Fogarty the honorary something or other of the DSC, lets get him on a bike at Oulton.

like Cobby you mean...who seemed able to win at will pre-adjustable 620 days

or Jeremy McWilliams on those Hardely things....
Old 21-Jul-2011, 22:12
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.p
Hugh, I do believe the rule was added to stop riders influencing the out come of a championship by getting some one to come in and spoil another (close competitor in the championship) riders chance of scoring points against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Not really as it stops people brining in a ringer for the last stages of the championship. I've seen it done elsewhere.

All this talk about ringers makes me feel like I need to read up about this championship because I figure there must be a shed load of prize money I didnt know about?!
I thought at the end of the year the winner would get another plastic trophy and at best a sticker? Have I missed something?! No wonder everyone doesnt want newcomers arriving late and stealing points!
Old 21-Jul-2011, 22:44
MotoGP God

Quote:
All this talk about ringers makes me feel like I need to read up about this championship because I figure there must be a shed load of prize money I didnt know about?!
I thought at the end of the year the winner would get another plastic trophy and at best a sticker? Have I missed something?! No wonder everyone doesnt want newcomers arriving late and stealing points!

its a national title yer see...well the races are all over England and Wales

edited to add, some think it more important to win than others. Why do people have illegal engines - light flywheels, engine work done beyond the rules, etc etc. Does it make their performance, win or not, any better or worse for them? Must be not or they wouldn't choose to actively cheat or turn a blind eye to their engine builder doing it. It will happen; it will always happen; that's life

Last edited by bradders : 21-Jul-2011 at 22:48.
Old 21-Jul-2011, 22:52
MotoGP God

Quote:

Hugh this rule goes back along way almost to the start of DD and hasn't been the cause of any issues, as they say if its not broke don't fix it.

And it was in place when Glyn who owns the Scooter shop in Grimsby put up a New Scooter as 1st prize for the winner of the Class B Championship. Back then Glyn who started racing with NG at the same time as me joined us in Class B even holding the Cadwell lap record at one point but has now moved on to bigger things as partner in the ANR TSS national Superstocks teams.

Old 21-Jul-2011, 23:26
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Hugh this rule goes back along way almost to the start of DD and hasn't been the cause of any issues, as they say if its not broke don't fix it.

Im not looking to start a petition to change it I just thought it sounded a bit 'Dorna' for our friendly series, mine was an off the cuff remark, nothing more.

I must admit that I love the ideas of 'ringers' coming in and people trying to pass off their DESMO-sedici engines as DESMO-dues.
Old 22-Jul-2011, 09:57
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

For those that keep saying they would like to see a decent rider on a DD bike, this was taken from the Track Sense website where he is listed as an instructor. I think you will agree that paints a picture of a guy that is not exactly a muppet on a motorcycle, having also won the ICGP European Championship in 2010. Anyone that can get close to his records is doing well, regardless of tyres, and none of us are axactly "slow" to win a race even if we are no GP riding Gods (IMO).......
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksense.co.uk
Ian Cobby was born in 1966 and began racing on a Yamaha 350LC. It was clear from the start that Ian
had a natural talent for racing, and it was this – and in particular his ability to ride virtually any type of machine at the highest level (see photo below!) – that allowed Ian to quickly build up a large collection of National Championship trophies.

During his 16 year racing career, Ian successfully competed on a host of different machines at National and International level, winning several National Championships along the way. He also rode for the Crescent Suzuki team in the British Superbike Championship, and competed in the World Endurance Championship as well.

Ian was British Superbike Champion in 1994, as well asbeing twice British Supersport 600 Champion, British Supersport 400 Champion, and British Superstock Champion. Ian was also a very successful Isle of Man TT rider, with a total 3 victories to his name in the 600cc and Superbike classes. Injury forced Ian to retire in 2001, but he now works exclusively for Track Sense as an instructor, and has recently made a successful return to racing, winning the ICGP European Championship in 2010.
Since retiring, Ian has worked as a motorcycle journalist and test rider, and exclusively in Spain for us as an instructor – although he did briefly return to racing in 2008, winning the Desmodue Championship in that year.

I don't think the rule makes a lot of difference as we stand in Class B this year, but if someone had a bad start and needed a lot of wins to catch the lead of the championship I could see why they might be miffed if they were having points "stolen" from them. Yet I also agree with Hugh in that if you are not quick enough to beat everyone in the championship at least once then you probably don't deserve to be champion (and what I mean by that is that we have all beaten echother, so we are all deserving. If someone comes that nobody can beat, maybe they deserve it more).
Old 22-Jul-2011, 10:24
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
For those that keep saying they would like to see a decent rider on a DD bike, this was taken from the Track Sense website where he is listed as an instructor etc etc .

I refer my learned colleague to the above post re cobby

What I was never sure of with Ian was if he was as flat out as us mortal are now. He had some close races with Mike, saw some first hand, but always seemed so in control by comparison to most who are on the edge and seemed to have a little in the tank when needed. It may be thats what makes him such a good rider, but 2 Cobbys racing pushing each other woukld be something I'd happily get lapped for!

but how much faster can they go?? Especially B class where set up isnt as changeable, and if the bike is as good as it gets, there are some very fast bikes out there, it can only be tenths better, cant it?!

roll on Cadwell
Old 22-Jul-2011, 11:08
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

.....and wasn't that an old Class A Cobby record taken at the weekend?
Old 22-Jul-2011, 11:57
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Especially B class where set up isnt as changeable, and if the bike is as good as it gets, there are some very fast bikes out there, it can only be tenths better, cant it?!

Oulton 2007