Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jan-2006, 21:56
888 at Last !!!

New Superlight V purchase

OK thanks very much to Ian900SLV, I visited the SL V for sale in banbury (#021) and made a purchase. It had indeed been sitting there for a long time and a mega deal was done.

I checked it over best I could based on pics and info from this site. As far as I could see all was completely original with the exception of the termis. The bike also had the carb heaters fitted under warranty and correctly dynojetted for the termis.

Anyway, I got to the garage (well office portacabin and workshop). Bike looked like it had not moved in at least a year. Hadn't been started in 6 months. Miles - just over 5000 !! Wow. Panels and body work all unmarked, only real mark on it where the clutch slave cylinder had leaked. Very dusty where the cover hadn't reached. He wanted 3500 - I paid 2400, mainly because he had not used it for about 3 years and not serviced it because he hadn't used it and he couldn't get it to start.

He originally bought it from Chris Clarke M/C and it originally came from Aye Gee (Italia Classics). It had service in 98 & belts service in 99. No service history registered from then on but he bought it in 2000 from Chris Clarke and done less than 2000 miles in all this time.

I'm picking it up in a van and it's going straight to Pro Twins for a belts service, new chain & sprockets and tyres. I got the original service books, user manual etc, etc, all in the Chris Clarke pack and 2 orig keys.

So any recommendations for:
* Chain & sprocket - how much where from etc
* Tyres
* how much for a belts service - I haven't asked Pro twins yet
* Anything else I should know?

Sorry, in my enthusiasm I've wrote too much
Old 17-Jan-2006, 22:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Waheeeyyy! Well done bloke! Hope you have loads of fun on her. Remember she won't handle like a 916, but you can get bloody close with some careful fettling.....

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggi
So any recommendations for:
* Chain & sprocket - how much where from etc
* Tyres
* how much for a belts service - I haven't asked Pro twins yet
* Anything else I should know?

Sorry, in my enthusiasm I've wrote too much

1) Chain & Sprocks from B&C express
2) Pirelli Diablos or Diablo Corsas depending on how much wet weather she'll see
3) Do your own belt ya lazy bugger! Not too pricey with a mechanic though.
4) Yes, from the rear 3/4 view you've bought one of the most attractive bikes ever made....

Well done!

Ali
Old 17-Jan-2006, 23:09
888 at Last !!!

thanks ali. As for the handling, I had griff 64 come round the outside of me at clearways on his 900ss and I was thinking his handled alright or maybe I'm just crap.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 11:37
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Well done Ziggi!

In the near-term you should probably budget for a new battery as well.

In the medium/long there are all kinds of things you can do. These sites might give you some inspiration.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/
http://www.cyclecat.com/home.htm
Old 18-Jan-2006, 12:50
888 at Last !!!

Thanks Chicken. It goes to ProTwins on saturday for belts, service, tyres & C&S.

On another note - Pete from ProTwins was telling me that he has a couple of termignoni nest of vipers full systems just come in which are apparently very rare. He said they would suit the SL or 888.

Bit out of my budget I expect at the moment but thought I'd mention it.

As for the FCR carbs, i didn't know how to check if they were present. It's certainly got the K&N filter rather than the foam and cover.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 18:53
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Glad to have been of help to ya mate, you can buy me a pint when we sort out a mega SL meet ????
Sounds like you got a good deal, be sure to post some pics when you get it home.

Welcome to the pleasure that is SL ownership, you won`t regret it

Ian