Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 02-May-2005, 15:47
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Oh look 4 classes on one grid

Class 1:- 583cc M600 & 600SS models
Class 2:- 674cc M600 & 600SS models with a bigbore kit
Class 3:- 620cc M620, 620SS and 620 Multistrada models
Class 4:- 680cc M620, 620SS and 620 Multistrada models with a big bore kit.

If points were awarded for positions in each class then there would be several in with a shout of the overall championship. That is 1st in each class scores maximum points etc etc.

If like other classes in racing half points were awarded for only a limited number of runners in each class then the overall champion would probably come from the class2 or class3 runners. As there are more running in these classes

So race winners will still be race winners but they may not be championship winners.
Old 02-May-2005, 15:48
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Thanks mate.

You’ve earned a good rest after that day’s racing.
Glad to see you took my advice and stayed on in that second race.

Old 02-May-2005, 15:52
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Just as a guide, our 583 bike at this point is putting out:

48bhp at the rear wheel

And my 583 is putting out a bit more but my best lap was 58.10 cos i'm a total utter novice.

Some 620's (or maybe they weren't now - i don't know) were passing me on the straight like i was tied to a tree. It will be even worse at Snetterton for my little bike.
That said even if i'd had a 999 I couldn't have gone any quicker for now

It's not an even playing field - no , but i'm there to give it a go so i'm sticking to my 583 and just enjoy the rest of the season.

Just wave to me as you go past guys so I don't get lonely
Old 02-May-2005, 15:58
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
Thanks mate.

I nearly didn't, ask Phill and Chris about my motocross moment at the old hairpin! It was a bit of a pants filling moment!
Old 02-May-2005, 16:01
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids

except there is only 1 class in desmodue:

The motorcycle must be based on an air-cooled 2 Valve Ducati Twin cylinder produced since 1992, displacing no more than 675cc.

if anyone wants to run a smaller capacity its their choice.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:01
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids

If points were awarded for positions in each class then there would be several in with a shout of the overall championship. That is 1st in each class scores maximum points etc etc.

If like other classes in racing half points were awarded for only a limited number of runners in each class then the overall champion would probably come from the class2 or class3 runners. As there are more running in these classes

So race winners will still be race winners but they may not be championship winners.

Skids - thats exactly what Al & I were discussing on the way home yesterday.
We would like to keep our bike to the std 583, as the (much more expensive and totally useless) BB kit for the later engined M600's doesnt work.
However, even with dear mr Rossi on board, I think it would struggle to be anywhere in the 1st half of the field on any track with distance on the straights.

We cant afford a new bike, new engine, machining for barrells or whatever now, and have tied up over £350 in a 'kit' we cannot use, that reduces our already low BHP from 48 down to 39. Hence why the std engine.

MT/Race team management - over to you, your thoughts please, on what has been - and will be, a 'talking point'
Old 02-May-2005, 16:03
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati

if anyone wants to run a smaller capacity its their choice.

unfortunately not mate - see my last post

The kit is pants
Old 02-May-2005, 16:05
Big Twin

Well glad you kept it shiny side up, anyway!
Old 02-May-2005, 16:06
Mille

This is getting out of hand (in my humble oppinion). I'm running a 620 (noisy cans and tweaked fueling) and came 5th and 4th (infront of Andrew). Does this make me a baddy? ********.

I read the rules like everyone else and made a decission about which would be the most competative solution. I spent every spare penny I had (of my own money, no sponsors, no outside help)(incidentally, I'm a locksmith, blue collar, a trade, I make my living driving arround in a van - just so you know) to build what I thought was the best bike I could for the money I could afford, and I rode my flaming socks off on Sunday. I wanted a top three finish but it didn't happen because I was beaten by people who, on the day were quicker than me.

This is racing, people want to win and if the rules permit it then someone will do it. It's like life, you make your decissions and you live with the concequences.

NOW.

On Friday I followed Geoff's (reputed) big bore and it wasn't significantly quicker down the straight than my 620. Yet on Sunday Geoff was over a second a lap quicker than anyone else - that's because on the day he was the better rider. It's as simple as that. Let me swap bikes with Geoff and I believe he would still have beaten me - on Sunday.

If you take out Geoff's bike and the Ducati Dealer bikes (incidentally the dealers can probably only run current Ducati kit, so they have virtually no choice over what they run) then the rest of the field (from me downwards) is a fairly well sorted mix of injected and carburetted bikes. To my mind that goes a long way to negating the big bore / 620 conspiracy.

Consider this. Even if Geoff does have the hottest bike on the grid, how much power do we seriously thing it makes, maybe 2 or 3 bhp up on a well prepared 620? On Saturday I raced in the SOT and beat an Aprillia Mille and a 996; both almost certainly putting out in excess of TWICE the power of my 620 sport. Geoff's lap time of Sunday would have got him a 4TH PLACE IN SOT - agains bike with over TWICE THE POWER.

Sunday's results have very little to do with power, they are about rider ability and that's the one comodity that cost each of us nothing. Short of a one make class like the R6 Cup, this is probably one of the closest technical classes any of us could race in. Instead of worrying about a handfull of bhp we should all leave Cadwell focused on inproving our ability - that's what I'm doing.

As an asside, I'm running a standard rear shock on my bike because I could not afford a fancy Ohlins / White Power etc. So I object most strongly to the unfair advantage possessed by those people who have most unsportingly gone out and spent huge amounts of money on exotic suspension components!
Old 02-May-2005, 16:08
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
Thanks mate.

I nearly didn't, ask Phill and Chris about my motocross moment at the old hairpin! It was a bit of a pants filling moment!

Is there a different kind of moment, other than pans filling? A large cork works if that’s any help.
Closed Thread