Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Aug-2003, 15:57
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello yella,

I must agree with Guido, I had an oil light come on for no apparent reason (oil level check before ride out) and the bike eventually came to a stop.
The result main bearings gone, I dropped the oil and found most of the bearing gasket in bits in the pickup filter.

I know the oil switch is a problem from other posts, but from talking to people the oil pump are not a common problem, I have the old lump on a bench in my garage and when time permits will try to get to the bottom of why my engine failed.

Although I am prity sure it would have been a pressure problem

Don't wanna put the begeeses up you but if you are concerned maybe an early oil change is in order . .

I hope for you sake its something worked lose . . .or as stated a new oil switch in order.

regards

TopiToo
Old 22-Aug-2003, 16:08
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Sorry just out of intrest . .

More so for Shazaam!

If it was to be an oil pressure problem how is this fixed and more importantly why does it happen in the first place, as I have heard of more than one bike with this problem, is it to do with seals/gaskets? and the heat generated with these engines?

regards

TopiToo
Old 26-Aug-2003, 21:30
Mille

Mood: tired!!!!!!!!!
just to update on this problem, I got a mate to do the pressure testing for me as quoted by shazzam and everything is in working order, so it could be the switch which i will be replacing when i get one from dibble. on inspection the vertical head at the back where the engine has lots of troughs where full of oil, now i have known for sometime that teh base gasket has been seeping oil but didn't think it would of leaked that much as i check level everytime i ride.
But went on a ride on sunday for 100 miles and not a problem.
if any one has any more suggestions that would be great ( and apart from changing gasket as nelly is doing this in a few weeks for me ).
Thanks for your input guys.
Old 28-Aug-2003, 08:33
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Sorry YellowBip but.........change the seal/gasket.

About the only way to stop it really. I had mine done only last week for the exact same reasons as you. Luckily it was under warranty.
Old 29-Aug-2003, 18:27
Mille

Mood: tired!!!!!!!!!
Cheers mate ( Guido ) is booked in for Nellys later next month.