Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Dec-2004, 19:34
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
New Ducati road bike.

Got some info on the new Ducati road bike. Hope to be able to post more with pics later. Watch this space.
Old 05-Dec-2004, 19:38
BSB Star

At a function on Friday evening I was let into one of the best kept secrets of the motorcycle world – the new Ducati road bike. It would seem that Ducati have finally realised that the 999 is not going to be the success the 916 series was, and what’s more it is taking too long to develop it for the discerning rider. “Too bland” is a quote oft heard when describing the bike, “not a patch on the 916” is another, so Ducati have bitten the bullet and have poured massive amounts of money and resources into the new bike.

From what I’m hearing, certain aspects of the bike will be developed by a UK company, whose name I know, but am not at liberty to divulge. The brief was simple – be radical! The 916 set the world alight when it first appeared all those years ago, and it is still an icon even now. Ducati hope the new bike will have the same effect. However, one aspect of the bike is that it will be so radical that Ducati will be “vetting” potential purchasers to ensure they are competent to operate the new machine. My inside source says this will probably mean that only older, more mature riders will initially be getting the bike until such time as some of the more radical aspects of the machine are fully understood.

Initial specs are very sketchy; however I have been able to ascertain the following.

• The bike will use a minimalist tubular frame, probably titanium, with a “twin beam” layout and of course painted red.
• Horsepower and torque figures have not been released, but the rider will be able to alter the way power is delivered to suit the conditions.
• Power will automatically be reduced if the machine detects the rider is becoming tired and riding becomes more wayward.
• Braking system will use GP style radial calipers on GP spec forks and a variable ratio radial master cylinder
• Rear wheel will have a unique radically new “hard tail” suspension system with lean angle detectors which will prevent the biking from laying down when lean angle is likely to be exceeded
• An entirely new “slick” style tyre has been developed for the bike, possibly as a direct result in Pirelli’s involvement in WSBK
• There will be no seat as such. Instead the rider will be positioned within the frame and supported through their lower arms, hands, thighs and feet. Apparently this is to allow for a greater degree of manoeuvrability when on the bike.
• Marchesini magnesium wheels will be a standard fit to give greater lightness and improve turn in.

I’ll post more when I get it.

[Edited on 5-12-2004 by yeti]
Old 05-Dec-2004, 19:41
BSB Star

Just heard from my friend, he will be mailing me some pics of the prototype tomorrow, can't wait...........
Old 05-Dec-2004, 20:08
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by yetiPower will automatically be reduced if the machine detects the rider is becoming tired and riding becomes more wayward.

stops loads of peeps I know from buying it then - how would the machine know the difference in erratic mad behaviour and erratic tired behaviour??? Will it have vertical take off too
Old 05-Dec-2004, 20:44
Ducati Corse

Calling occupants of Interplanetary Craft ..

... are you talking for Uranus, John
Old 05-Dec-2004, 21:32
BSB Star

Patience dear boy, patience. All will be revealed, AND I am assured it will be worth waiting for.
Old 05-Dec-2004, 22:23
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Yeh right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-Dec-2004, 22:30
BSB Star

Oh ye of little faith...................
Old 05-Dec-2004, 22:33
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by yeti
Oh ye of little faith...................

Drugs are bad mmk?
Old 05-Dec-2004, 22:37
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
And I thought it was Dec 5th, (my son's 13th birthday!!! - makes me feel old) and not April 1st!!

Tim

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit