Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 31-Oct-2005, 17:37
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
IT Contractor\'s - VAT registered?

I was at a dealer at the weekend and they suggested it possible to claim the Vat on bikes? Has anyone any experience or guidance?
Old 31-Oct-2005, 17:47
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
You can, if it's a company vehicle.... but you'll be hammered in tax for that reason. And as and when you come to sell it the money raised is the companies not yours I would assume.

Several years ago I asked my accountant about a company car purchased via the business, he basically said unless I buy a large capacity motor do around 60k+ per year it won't be cost effective, so I doubt a bike would be any different to be honest
Old 31-Oct-2005, 17:48
Big Twin

Well .... if you are VAT registered then you can claim "reasonable business expenses" and VAT back on such items. You'd have to be able to show that the bike was for "business use" though! It would also have to be owned by "the company", I think, and then of course you would fall foul of the "company vehicle" tax rules.

Is it really worth it I wonder?

(Edited to say) As Flanks says in fact!

[Edited on 31-10-2005 by HW]
Old 31-Oct-2005, 17:50
GTL

If you are VAT registered, and register the bike in the company's name you can offset the VAT no problems, but there seems to be some varying opinions on what happens when you sell the bike.

My bloke said that the VAT on the sale price of the bike had to be paid back when the company disposes of the bike, so you only save the difference between the price you buy the bike at and the price you sell it for.
However, The other advantage is that you also save VAT on all servicing costs , and the servicing comes from your gross not net income, the downside is the taxable benefit of the bike is much higher than it was 10 years ago (when it was a bit like a van, almost a "freebie"). You have to declare how much the servicing is costing you... Its like everything, it tends to be a bit of a "swings and roundabouts" thing. The bike also has to be registered in the company name, which can have insurance implications (most ask "is the bike registered in your name") I got around this by having the dealer register the bike with my name in front of the company name.

It seemed to save me a lot of money when I first bought a bike in the company name, but by the time it was 5 years old, I was begining to wonder. Best thing to do is ask your accountant to look at the implications in your exact circumstances (or, if you're brave enough to do your own accounts, best wait until someone who knows more about it than me replies!)
Old 31-Oct-2005, 18:08
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
"My bloke said that the VAT on the sale price of the bike had to be paid back when the company disposes of the bike, so you only save the difference between the price you buy the bike at and the price you sell it for."
thanks for the info, what if I then sold it to someone for, say, 1 pound?
I'm talking about a 3 grand bike anyway so it isn't really going to save me that much. I'll mail the accountant and see what's what.
Old 31-Oct-2005, 18:58
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by ak47

thanks for the info, what if I then sold it to someone for, say, 1 pound?

aaaaahhh, the old: "but I only sold it for a pittance" trick.
Won't wash with Mr Vatman I'm afraid. bin there, done that, paid the fine.

Bit like divorce settlements - sell the house for a fiver to your mate and give her half of the proceeds - i.e. £2.50.
Court takes a dim view and says "So, by paying your ex promptly with the £2.50 you agree that you do owe her half of your worldly goods" oops.
Old 31-Oct-2005, 19:22
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I don't think you will be able to claim 100% of what ever you clam anyhow.
I would have thought that they would have duducted some for personal use?
Old 31-Oct-2005, 20:19
DaveB916

I seem to recall @ 4 years ago there was not any tax liability on a comapny motorcycle?

Not sure if this has changed along with 'crew cabs' now attracting full vehicle tax as opposed to the std. £500 for a van?

Sure the tax man will get you one way or another.

Old 31-Oct-2005, 21:55
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Surely if you buy it new!
claim the VAT on purchase price

Run it for 4 yrs !

Rite it back at 20% per year over 4 years

then sell it out of the company for the remaining 20% to your wife and then pay the vat on the difference !!!!!!!

[Edited on 31-10-2005 by madmav]
Old 31-Oct-2005, 22:03
GTL

[quote]Originally posted by DaveB916
I seem to recall @ 4 years ago there was not any tax liability on a comapny motorcycle?

Not sure if this has changed along with 'crew cabs' now attracting full vehicle tax as opposed to the std. £500 for a van?

Sure the tax man will get you one way or another.

[/quote

Yeah, its definitely changed...when I bought my bike on the company in early 2000, the tax liability was minimal, but for the last couple of years, I was paying tax on the value of the bike, tax on the value of the servicing, and over a 5 year ownership, I reckon I might as well have paid the VAT in the first place. I have heard other accountants say that you don't have to pay the VAT when you dispose of the bike, but mine was adamant that you do, and you don't want to fcuk with the VAT man! If the bike is only £3,000 , I'm assuming its second hand, so will probably not depreciate too much, so you probably wouldn't gain too much once you eventually sell it on....every case is different, but I reckon that with things as they are, you wouldn't save much

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit