Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Oct-2005, 20:26
Big Twin

749R suspension settings ?

I have been looking at the settings on my 749R and had a bit correspondence with section 8 superbikes.

My front ohlins settings are, rebound 6 clicks out, compression 10 clicks out, preload 10mm showing ? and the forks have 2 rings showing above the top clamp.

Rear Ohlins settings are, rebound 12 clicks out , compression 12 clicks out and spring preload has 35 mm of thread showing to top of adjuster ring.

My ride height adjuster is about 245 mm from centre of eye to centre of eye, section8 said 285mm but it looks like it will have to be turned quite a bit to acheive this, is this wise ?

So anyone with a 749R, what setttings are you using, mine is used only on the road so not bothered about head angle etc, I weigh just under 11 stone.
Old 13-Oct-2005, 20:34
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by iang
I have been looking at the settings on my 749R and had a bit correspondence with section 8 superbikes.

My front ohlins settings are, rebound 6 clicks out, compression 10 clicks out, preload 10mm showing ? and the forks have 2 rings showing above the top clamp.

Rear Ohlins settings are, rebound 12 clicks out , compression 12 clicks out and spring preload has 35 mm of thread showing to top of adjuster ring.

My ride height adjuster is about 245 mm from centre of eye to centre of eye, section8 said 285mm but it looks like it will have to be turned quite a bit to acheive this, is this wise ?

So anyone with a 749R, what setttings are you using, mine is used only on the road so not bothered about head angle etc, I weigh just under 11 stone.

the rear ride height should be 285mm, i've ran a bit more at times but ducati dont recomend it as its on thread insertion limits. are you sure its 245 now?? have you taken it out and measured it??
Old 13-Oct-2005, 20:35
888 at Last !!!

If i remember correctly, Section 8 doesn't give suspension setup figures (only guidelines for that), but geometry figures.
Iang, two rings showing is not close to section 8 advice (they say 4 showing, i think).
And 245 mm is way to low ride height.
My 999R came with 285mm.
Old 13-Oct-2005, 20:39
Big Twin

No, I got a length of wire and measured from where the centre of the ball joints is at the top to the centre of the ball joint at the bottom.

Is this wrong ??? about how much thread should be showing and did you have to turn the bar loads to get this length.

Also did you do this without dropping the forks or anything and did it make a difference
Old 13-Oct-2005, 20:55
Big Twin

Mood: r
ive had mine set up at k-tec,top blokes.they set the rear first as it had too much sag,then did the front. felt much better straight away as they said" it wont feel like a boat". the head angle is set at the higher angle,this makes a big difference.its well worth a flying visit to them but make sure you ring them & book a suitable time.
Old 13-Oct-2005, 22:31
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by iang
No, I got a length of wire and measured from where the centre of the ball joints is at the top to the centre of the ball joint at the bottom.

Is this wrong ??? about how much thread should be showing and did you have to turn the bar loads to get this length.

Also did you do this without dropping the forks or anything and did it make a difference

cant get to my bike to check but i remove tie bar and measure it. once its set the thread is 1.5 pitch i think so a full turn would take it from 285 to 286.5 for example. remember for road use you probably have more sag and a softer setup so bike sits lower so can in theory increase ride height but if its a 749 youll also run a 180/55 tyre which if memory serves is 12mm taller than a 999 and its 190/50. i'd start at 285 on the tie rod and probably 35mm sag, maybe even 37 if you ride stuff like the keilder/newcastleton/ jedburgh roads.

on spring preload the way the tech companies measure it is by spring length, a 749 should have a 160mm spring un loaded measured from flat part of spring to flat part, usually preload is about 10 -12 mm so spring length in bike is 150 - 148mm. I'm 65 kg and run a 70 spring on my 999 with cast swingarm and 11mm of preload. it'll bottom every so often.

Forks make a big difference and its worth going to 3 or 4 lines showing