Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:23
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Steering head angle - C-spanner size??

All,

M.O.T time of year rapidly approaches, and I've got to return my 916's steering head angle to the road position.

Anyone know of the size of the c-spanner for this?
Also anyone know of where to get one? Price I should be paying?

Got to add yet another tool to my expanding collection.....what's the saying about boys and toys?

Cheers
Jas
Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:38
Dibble

why ???

Had mine MOT'ed today .. all he did was start it .... beep the horn, play with the lights & indicators, tested the front brake by pushing the bike 6 inches before squeezing the lever .... and then wrote the cert out .....

Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:44
Mille

Unless I find a 'friendly' MOT centre near me......

Took mine in yesterday, first thing they did was check for steering lock - Failed. 15.50 please.
Bugg3r. Ars3.

J.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:48
Dibble

blimey ..
Old 01-Apr-2005, 11:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by hooley
Took mine in yesterday, first thing they did was check for steering lock - Failed. 15.50 please.
Bugg3r. Ars3.

J.

Thats just anal...take it somewhere else...I had mine set to steep for years and it was never picked up or even mentioned...along with my termis etc!

If you do want to change it back however, the c-spanner than places like M&P sell for adjusting preload will do it. It may need a little bit grinding off the end to allow for proper fitment, but it works, and they cost about £10-15.

Be warned though...that although adjusting the head angle is straight forward on paper, if it hasn't been shifted before or has decided it likes where it is, it can be a bugger to move...and with the frame and tank in close proximity...BE CAREFULL!
Old 01-Apr-2005, 11:35
Big Twin

...and tip of the day...if your going to have a go...remove the top yoke first...it makes it a whole lot easier.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 12:10
DaveB916

Hi,

I just happen to be a qualified MOT tester and can only see the reason for failing the bike if the bars foul the tank or similar, do they?

If so does the Ducati have adjustable lock stops I am not sure?

My own Senna is fitted with radial master cylinders which touch the clocks on full lock but I never have a problem getting it MOT'd and NO I no longer have the facilities to do it myself before someone points out why......lol

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by DaveB916]
Old 02-Apr-2005, 22:57
Mille

Next tip of the day......

If you've got a M.O.T. with the steering angle set in the 'RACE' position, then place a small jubilee clip over the front steering lock (just under the front headlamp bracket)

It re-engages the lock-stops - Bingo. One M.O.T. as it correctly stops the lock. Brilliant idea.

After M.O.T, remove one jubilee clip

Takes about 10 mins all in, including the removal of the front fairing and scratching one's ars3 for about 6 mins thinking about how to get around the problem.

Bugg3r all steering lock tho'....

J