Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Mar-2006, 19:08
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Hypothetical damage...clutch

Ok,

A ducati goes down the road on it's right hand side, minimal damage, but as there was no clutch cover, some of the clutch bolts and springs bit the dust....

Hypothetically how much damage......best and worst case scenario please.

Cheers
Jas

Oh and by the way, yes I am still alive, despite the rumours to the contrary...
Old 01-Mar-2006, 19:14
Dibble

minimal, probably need a new clutch center as thers a likeliehood you may have bent a post or two or even snaped the odd post .. from memory about 60 quid .. the impact may have snapped the push rod .. other than replacement spring and bolts that you may have damaged I'de say no more than 100 quid ....... if you need to borrow a clutch centre I have one in the garage with a standard pressure plate just in case thats damaged, but unlikely .......
Old 01-Mar-2006, 20:37
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
How about some piccy`s Hooley!
Old 01-Mar-2006, 22:14
Ducati Corse

From the one clutch that i've changed that suffered this exact same problem the list of parts was

Basket
Clutch centre (drum)
Clutch cover

I would guess at around £250 if you are using new parts plus labour to get someone to fit it if you cannot beg, borrow or make the clutch holding tool.

I reused the springs and caps, they were scratched but still okay.

One other thing, how long did the motor run while the bike was on its side? Ducati motors don't like being run very long like that.
Old 01-Mar-2006, 22:17
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
If the motor was stopped by the clutch, there is a definite chance of internal probs.

My local dealer has had to rebuild 2 motors in the past year from clutch impacts which stopped the engine.

Sorry to be a grim git, but take the plugs and turn it over by hand before trying to start it.

You can remove the clutch completely and turn the motor over (or even start it) without the clutch in place.

Spin
Old 01-Mar-2006, 22:53
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Quote:
Originally posted by rcgbob44
How about some piccy`s Hooley!

Thankfully not me....

Got a possible engine offer from a broken bike..this is why i'm asking, trying to predict a 'worst-case scenario' before I make an offer.

No problem with my little old 916, but an offer of an upgrade for a small-ish wedge needs considering

Cheers for all the replies........so far £250 is the worst, £80ish at best - got to be considered when making an offer for the engine & ancillary bits

Jas
Old 01-Mar-2006, 22:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
For a standard clutch the minimum I would expect would be to go with Dibbles answer, for some reason he knows what he's talking about here.
If its a slipper cost of parts could be higher.
Worse case may be some damage to the outer casing and the clutch basket getting knocked out of true, then again it could try and push the whole gear shaft through the otherside of the engine.