Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 21-Jun-2011, 13:13
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
As this thread is veering off track slightly ( a bit like Awful Lawson under braking ) I'll just add that I've had a response from the DD team that they are going to talk to Dunlop over tyres for the wet.

Thanks guys.

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 21-Jun-2011, 13:15
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
As this thread is veering off track slightly ( a bit like Awful Lawson under braking ) .

ouch! PMSL
Old 21-Jun-2011, 14:19
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
plus - all races count - no dropsies[/quote].. YESS!!
Old 24-Jun-2011, 10:59
Bikes: Ducati, Aprilia and KTM - no yapanese please

I agree with Bionicle, Stevce41, MOnty, chris.p and others.

Wets will not make racing safer. You'll probably find there as many fallers duing a dry race as there are during a wet race where wets are being used (wonder if any clubs have some stats on this?). Upside in the wet is it'll probably be a lowside into the mud - less likelyhood of bodily or machine damage. We chould allow the use of Ohlins TTX front foorks on the safety argument. Safety is the connection between brain and right hand.

In my experience wets will work on DD bikes but are only good for 1 race -
a bit more if it is constantly wet (standing water). Ideally they can only be used once. Using wets adds expense, hassle, stress and complexity.

We race within a set of rules. These rules and the conditions are the same for all competitors. The challenge is to get results within these rules and conditions. When we land in an unfamiliar situation (in a race, on a DD bike, wearing road tyres during a biblical deluge... in Norfolk...), it is uncomfortable (some say scary... others say exciting...). Simmilar to the feeling we all had when we ventured out onto the race track for the first time. Through practice and application we gained proficiency in that situation. This is the fun part :-)

All those riders who were out there on Saturday: over the course of the race, did you feel yourself getting better? Did you get just one corner 'right' within that situation? Did it feel good?

I have found that the amount of money I spend on racing tends to be inversely proportional to the amount of enjoyment I get out of it. DD is a relatively cheap, simple format that works. It is the most enjoyable form of road racing I've done... let's keep it that way ;-)

The only rule changes that should be made should be to encourage more riders to the grid.

http://www.speedtherapy.co.uk
Old 24-Jun-2011, 15:03
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtherapy
I agree with Bionicle, Stevce41, MOnty, chris.p and others.

Wets will not make racing safer. You'll probably find there as many fallers duing a dry race as there are during a wet race where wets are being used (wonder if any clubs have some stats on this?). Upside in the wet is it'll probably be a lowside into the mud - less likelyhood of bodily or machine damage. We chould allow the use of Ohlins TTX front foorks on the safety argument. Safety is the connection between brain and right hand.

In my experience wets will work on DD bikes but are only good for 1 race -
a bit more if it is constantly wet (standing water). Ideally they can only be used once. Using wets adds expense, hassle, stress and complexity.

We race within a set of rules. These rules and the conditions are the same for all competitors. The challenge is to get results within these rules and conditions. When we land in an unfamiliar situation (in a race, on a DD bike, wearing road tyres during a biblical deluge... in Norfolk...), it is uncomfortable (some say scary... others say exciting...). Simmilar to the feeling we all had when we ventured out onto the race track for the first time. Through practice and application we gained proficiency in that situation. This is the fun part :-)

All those riders who were out there on Saturday: over the course of the race, did you feel yourself getting better? Did you get just one corner 'right' within that situation? Did it feel good?

I have found that the amount of money I spend on racing tends to be inversely proportional to the amount of enjoyment I get out of it. DD is a relatively cheap, simple format that works. It is the most enjoyable form of road racing I've done... let's keep it that way ;-)

The only rule changes that should be made should be to encourage more riders to the grid.

http://www.speedtherapy.co.uk

Nicely put

Chris
Old 24-Jun-2011, 16:36
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Wets will not make racing safer.
Pardon?

Quote:

Others may disagree but I think I've raced enough to feel qualified to say that racing on wet tracks on road tyres does not feel as "good" (good=safe and fun in my book) as racing on wet tracks on proper wet tyres.

Quote:

Precisely. Perhaps not being able to use wets is discouraging new entrants? We've run single control tyres now for 7 years, maybe it's time for the series to evolve in that direction?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 24-Jun-2011, 19:35
MotoGP God

Quote:
[/url]

felt worse, but then on track in standing water I am a pussy
Old 25-Jun-2011, 13:03
Mille

Wets are for safety when RACING in the wet. These are road tyres which can be used in anger when dry with bikes of our power. When very wet the slip resistance is hugely decreased and there is no way the manufacturer would suggest they are suited to racing in that weather.

A bike with slicks on "could" go round in the wet and Im sure if you made it you "might" feel a better, smoother rider. But this is racing, not a competition of who can get the bike back to the paddock in one piece.

However I do understand that DD is more about ducktape and cable ties rather than wets and warmers.
Old 25-Jun-2011, 13:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP

However I do understand that DD is more about ducktape and cable ties rather than wets and warmers.

or a full Wet bike to sit alongside the Dry bike, and yes I have everything to build a second bike and the space to transport it
And I'll do a better job of water-proofing a wet bike

No different to when I was racing F600, SoT and Powerbike, only series I never had a wet bike for are 1300 Streetstocks as we raced with 130bhp on Road Tyres (see attached regs) and Desmo Due with its lower power output
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Streetstock2003_regs.pdf (4.2 KB, 116 views)

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook

Last edited by skidlids : 25-Jun-2011 at 13:49.
Old 25-Jun-2011, 13:33
MotoGP God

what were the R6 Cup guys running on? I know they were road tyres dry but did they use wets?