Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Apr-2004, 22:47

bike feels dangerous

hi,
took my 916 out for its first ride after winter today and got about 100yds down the road before it felt like the thing was about to throw me off. Had to ride back home at about 5-10mph and it still felt like their was something seriously wrong.Problem is something to do with the front, kinda feels like there is no air in the front tyre. I checked the pressure and its was 30 psi but i could push the tyre in with my fingers - this can't be right. I have checked the head bearings and they appear fine. Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this 'cause i don't wan't to ride this thing like this.
Old 10-Apr-2004, 22:55
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
You shouldn't be able to push the tire in at 30 psi....did you use garage air gauge? Always worth carrying your own as garage ones are crap. My first blast yesterday I knew it was low and it felt similar but once pumped up right as rain................
Old 11-Apr-2004, 08:37
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
If the bike has been laid up for winter, then i suspect the tyres have hardened'd
If i dont use my 916 for a couple of weeks the BT010's take about 20 miles before they feel back to normal.
Give them a couple of hundred miles, and if they still dont feel right get them changed. Also it will take a while for you to get back into the bike again after such a long lay up period not riding it.
I switch between 4 bikes and it takes a while to get used to the differences from riding the last one. The 916 feels like a nice comfy armchair to me now (neck and back have been fused to the riding position for too long) and the 250's and 400's feel bolt upright.
Old 11-Apr-2004, 09:59

got a pressure gauge today and the front was reading 15psi - thats after i pumped it up - stupid garage gauges - feels back to normal now, i'm away out for some fun