Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jun-2006, 10:28

Mood: skint.....
Slave Cylinder Compatibility

My clutch slave cylinder has been on the way out for some time so I decided to replace it. My problem is I got a newer design from a 2001 748 which has the piston end mostly enclosed.

Can anyone tell me it this should work OK with a 1995 748 bip as when I fitted it and bled it the clutch lever is rock solid. It won’t budge at all!

Are they incompatible, or have I done something wrong? I though maybe something was wrong with the clutch or the activating rod so I it removed it from the bike and the lever still wont move. Any ideas?

Cheers.
Old 03-Jun-2006, 11:02
Ducati Corse

The later bikes have a different length push-rod.You need the shorter one.
Old 03-Jun-2006, 11:02
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Roy you also need the clutch push rod from a later bike!

Chris
Old 03-Jun-2006, 11:04
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
I seem to remember theres a difference in the length of the pushrod or the end of the pushrod,but cant remember which is longer or how it differs, it maybe this that your problem rather than the actual slave(which I think are more or less all the same).Getting a later pushrod setup may be the easy way to sort it.
I'm sure I've seen a few guys discuss this very thing,maybe you could try a search over the site.
Old 03-Jun-2006, 11:04
Ducati Corse

Didn't i just say that???
Old 03-Jun-2006, 14:15

I considered the shorted rod, that's why i removed the slave cylinder from the bike again. The lever is still rock solid.

I assume that you can fit these later slaves to an earlier bike and that there is something wrong with it? I mean does the hydraulic system work the same...I can't think why it shouldn't work.
Old 03-Jun-2006, 19:28
GTL

You need a longer pushrod not a shorter one-from a 2001 on bike or new part no 11720061A
Old 04-Jun-2006, 00:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yep the hydraulics should work in exactly the same way with a pull on the lever moving the slave cylinder piston towards the engine, where it should push on the longer push rod.
If its solid while off the bike there is a problem somewhere. Worth checking alignment of banjo bolt holes with the banjos they pass through, can be a problem if ater market bolts or hose is used.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 04-Jun-2006, 10:19
GTL

Because the later type slave cylinder is a sealed unit when it is not in position the lever will be solid as the fluid will pressure the piston to the end of the cylinder
to check that side is working remove the clutch pressure plate and get someone to push the pushrod with a block of wood etc and then try the lever while they are forcing the pushrod.
I still think your problem is too shorter pushrod fitted
Old 04-Jun-2006, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolds
Because the later type slave cylinder is a sealed unit when it is not in position the lever will be solid as the fluid will pressure the piston to the end of the cylinder
to check that side is working remove the clutch pressure plate and get someone to push the pushrod with a block of wood etc and then try the lever while they are forcing the pushrod.
I still think your problem is too shorter pushrod fitted

I think that's the problem as can push the piston back and it works ok until it hits the end of the bore. Cheers. I need to get a longer rod now whick is a problem as my local dealer just went under.......