Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Dec-2004, 20:12
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
stripping paint off carbon???

just finishing sanding etc my track fairings, cos they look orrible, and find the seat unit I have is carbon. I am spraying it all black probably, so can I strip the paint off the carbon without damaging? I have been using a sanding disc so far - do i just use this and be careful? or can I use paint stripper (think not but better ask!)? or am I better painting over the existing paint and using that as an undercoat?

thanks
Old 17-Dec-2004, 20:38
500SD

Personally i would use either a nylon scourer or wet and dry with water. Defo not use chemicals imo
Old 17-Dec-2004, 21:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
There was a thread about this a little while ago with very good response, IIRC. Do a search.

Here ya go: http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...=6819#pid55530

[Edited on 17-12-2004 by Felix]
Old 17-Dec-2004, 23:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Bradders, I had about 7coats of paint on my carbon tank. I got some Nitromores paint stripper thats used for varnish's,etc. I did a test underneath the tank and found that I could stip each layer one at a time. I applied it buy brush and then with medium steel wool and rubber gloves rub the paint off layer by layer. I got right down to the base / filler coat, which I removed with fine wet and dry paper.
Old 18-Dec-2004, 17:46
MotoGP God

jon - what did it look like after, how did you get the carbon shine back?
Old 18-Dec-2004, 18:09
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
If it's half way decent carbon you can get the shine back by using finer and finer grades of wet n dry and effectively polish the shine back on. HOWEVER, if it's poor carbon ie: polyster resin based as opposed to epoxy based, it might be more difficult in which case sand the surface till you can't see any scratches and then laquer the whole thing.

If I can help any more drop me a line.
Old 18-Dec-2004, 20:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I couldn't get evry last bit off. The primer / filler coat that had got into the weave of the carbon I left. I'm having the tank resprayed, so no need.

The only problem I found was, if you had to go really deep into the carbon. The weave would become visable. I would have a word with ripsnortingvtwin with regards to getting it back to pure carbon.

As for looks, It looked great other than tiny bits of paint which had got between the carbon weave. I think the tank I have was always intended to be painted. If you have a tank which started out as pure carbon, it should be easier. to get it back the way it was.

[Edited on 18-12-2004 by Jon]
Old 19-Dec-2004, 16:39
500SD

Mood: DOH!
You can use nitromors if you get the stuff which is meant for glassfibre, Halfords sell this I think, as do paint factors for the motor trade.
Yeti is correct in his diagnosis on returning the shine, smooth it back with progressively finer grades of wet and dry, right up to 1500 - 2000 grade and then polish it as you would paint with a machine. You can do it by hand but it takes ages and will not be as good a finish.
You can polish polyester resin too, which is most likely what you will have.
The other option, as he says is to wet and dry again, but this time only to about 800 grade and then get the parts laquered. This is probably the better option imo, as the laquer gives a measure of uv protection.
Old 20-Dec-2004, 12:08
MotoGP God

cool - thanks guys. Seems a lot of hassle for a track day seat unit, so here comes halfrauds tin of spray!!