Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:08
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
I had a major accident on a TL1000 and am still not sure why - as I lost the front, not the rear.

This was on one of the very last bikes with steering damper and 'detuned' engine.

Up till that point I was enjoying it very much !

You pays yer money and takes yer chances.....
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:09
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

p.s. - Aprillia Falco !!!
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:12
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
Like being on an over weight dolphin , no brakes , no handling , grt engine - only consider the "r" if your mad....!!

748r that's it ....????
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:14
Big Twin

If insurance is the issue, why not consider a 748?

A well setup 748 could make similar power to a 916 (although less torque) give you the cheaper insurance, keep with a V-Twin and sublime handling. Then 853 it or upgrade to a 916 later..

This is the dyno chart from my 748 after the FIM chip was setup last year

http://www.chathamclose.com/pics/dyno.jpg

The 916 we used for comparison made 5BHP more all the way up the curve btw.
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:14
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
No experience of 'em, only what I've read. Dodgy rear shock wasn't it? Some sort of nvel radial shock design to maximise space. The placement of the shock was tucked in some place where it didn't get any cooling and there was too little oil in it to cool easily anyway. Damping oil used to get too hot, lose viscosity and all rear damping went to pot. They had an evil reputation as a widow maker, although I think they can be sorted with aftermarket stuff.

The 1000R was a different kettle of bananas with a more conventional shock I think, but also lots more expensive for someone in you position I should think. Someone who really knows what they're talking about will be along in a minute.

Why does it have to be a 916 Jewell? I rode Fordie's 900SS a year or so back and was well impressed with how it went. Fast enough for all but nutters on the road. Should be able to pick one up relatively cheap and the insurance shouldn't kill ya either.
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:16
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
RSV or Falco would get my vote. Even the very early ones are good handlers and are reliable as anything. If you get an early RSV or any Falco, budget for a rear shock if they haven't had a replacement. They're not the best units around. The RSVs had a white spring and I think the Falco ones are blue (or white). From 2001 onwards the RSV had a better Sachs shock with a yellow spring.

If you're on a bit of a budget, a Falco with a decent rear shock is a very capable bike. The RSV looks a bit better (IMO) and has the heritage of WSB racing. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:18
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Or if the insurance and running costs of a 4V are too much try a 900SS, you'll be suprised how good the 2V engines are on the road
Old 03-Mar-2005, 12:38
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Cheers Steve - nice one !!!
Old 03-Mar-2005, 13:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The early TL1000S is a real hooligan tool that has far to much power for the standard chassis, I still have one although it is in bits in the workshop. I have owned a few and even raced one for a season and a half. The race bike had quite a few mods to try and improve its handling but it was never going to handle as well as a Ducati although it did blow by many of them on the airfield race circuits. At some meetings I was taking the TL and the 916 Strada along to race in Sound of Thunder and Streetstocks, somewhere like Darley Moor I would mainly race the TL as it lapped faster at Pembrey the 916 got used as it lapped faster. Still have very fond memories of the TL which was my first V-twin and I'm hoping the 998 Hybrid is going to give me the TL power characteristics with improved Ducati handling.
Old 03-Mar-2005, 13:26
Dibble

for those that haven't yet met Skid and Jewell this is what I'd imagine thier first test run with the TL looking like ... probably with Dallas riding the bike ......

:P

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit