Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Nov-2006, 16:54
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
HyperPro suspension

Hi people, just wanted to throw this one out to the great knowledge of this board.
I have a Gixer 600 trackbike that has a Hyperpro suspension fitted, I also have a 996 with the standard Showa. I going to sell the Gixer and use the 996 as the trackbike.
I was going to swap the
HyperPro onto the Duke. My question is which is better, the standard Showa or the Hyperpro ???

Thanks

Craig
Old 03-Nov-2006, 17:18
Big Twin

is the hyperpro you have for your jap thingy a complete shock and are you sure its the right one to fit to your duke.

the std showa units are ok but the ratio of turns for what differance you get back varies so that makes swapping settings with someone difficalt. they also have ben known to run out of adjusabillity range for whats needed when taking to the track, but you could be ok with it.

the hyper pro are progressivly wound springs which is really the feature. offering a variable spring rate. I have an ohlins rear shock on my track bike at the moment that has a hyperpro spring, but i found it easier to get a good setting with a ohlins spring, ohlins also make springs to suit riders weight.

i guess it depends on the model of hyperpro shock you have, youd proably get the best advice re hyperpro products from pro-twins on 01342-892888,
Old 03-Nov-2006, 18:18
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungi
is the hyperpro you have for your jap thingy a complete shock and are you sure its the right one to fit to your duke.

Hello Bungi

If like for like which shock would you use?
what are the benefits between a HyperPro and a showa?

does anybody have a HyperPro fitted to a Duc?

just interested to know

regards

TopiToo
Old 03-Nov-2006, 19:14
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopiToo
Hello Bungi

If like for like which shock would you use?

TopiToo

if the hyperpro shock is the correct model one for the duke then i would expect it is probably better than the std showa unit.

im far from an expert on suspension, and i only have trackside experiance of trying to get these things working right and thats with the guidance of the more knowledgable.

as i said the main benefit (as far as i am aware) that hyperpro offfers is the progressivly wound spring. Hyper pro do appear to offer some pretty good shocks but then so do ohlins. i guess it depends where abouts in the range the shock gbyte666 has comes, for intance it might fetaure slow and fast damping curcits, but i really dont know much about the range hyperpro offer, however i believe pro-twins are a hyperpro stockist / dealer and they run race bikes so i guess they would one of the best peeps to be able to give advice.

Last edited by Bungi : 03-Nov-2006 at 20:41.
Old 03-Nov-2006, 19:54
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Thx Bungi, I'll brave the cold later on and take a photo of it / get the model number of the Hyper. I do know that when I had the Gixer supension set up on a Silverstone trackday the Guy said it was a really good suspension with loads of range in both. Of course I would love to slap some Ohlins on her but I want to use some of the spare muller to upgrade the brakes and put a slipper in. I already have the STM 36 tooth race clutch so I belive I only need the STM internals to convert it. I was told when I bought it that the bloke paid £500 + for the Hyperpro and just figured it would be 1 down from Olins and 1 up from standard Showa.

Craig
Old 03-Nov-2006, 20:07
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Hi Craig,

I have a hypro'd 900ss ie and Ktec'd R1.

The bikes are light years appart.

The Duke is as hard as a go-cart, whereas the R1 is really soft and uses the suspension much more freely.

Personally I'd leave the GSX'r as it is, sorted, and concentrate on upgrading the Duke with Hyperpro or Ktec service/upgrades or pick up Ohlins for it, but you'll still need a setup for you.

Andy
Old 03-Nov-2006, 20:38
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Go and talk to Rob at ProTwins if you want to know about suspesion set up and Hyperpro gear, top bloke.