Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 22-Feb-2004, 22:08
Big Twin

I have never done a IAM training although I always wanted to. It's in the book for when I get some time and I quite fancy the Bike Safe too.

From what I have read on them (planning to do them) and from the many trackdays & CSS that I did, this is not the same thing at all. Those are very complementary however.

Bike Safe and IAM are supposed to work your riding skills & instincts in an environment with other road users. They are designed for you to ride safely in an everyday situation.

CSS is essentially about handling your bike at speed and building you confidence. I don't believe that the other courses teach you that although they probably correct a few things if your riding position is really wrong for intance. I would not say that CSS is purely for the track either. Indeed something are difficult to apply strictly on the road like deep turning points or quick turns, but they do make sense. CSS has improved my riding & confidence by a long way.

So as a superbike rider, yes there is plenty to learn in CSS but I would not disreguard the other courses either like vman does. Riding a superbike on the road is not only about handling of the bike, but also a lot about reading and anticipating what is happening in the environment.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by pguenet]
Old 23-Feb-2004, 09:49
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Funny thing is, Andy Ibbott who heads up California Superbike School in the UK also writes for MCN, and the advice he gives could have come straight from the 'Roadcraft' manual. If you talk to Andy (and I have) he will tell you that track and road are not the same, but that you can apply techniques from one to the other. Track based techniques just need to be modified to allow for road conditions.
A mantra pinched from flying school which is equally applicable to us-"There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers,-there are no old, bold, bikers!"
Have fun, but ride safe-I have no desire to be going to any more funerals.

John
Old 23-Feb-2004, 10:21
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Hey Monty, both of us are nearly bald and we ain't exactly young are we ;-).

Lot of sense being talked here with a smattering of what the horses leave behind on the road to test our real skill levels.

Haven't done any formal training myself but wouldn't be averse to it, one thing that always stands you in good stead though is a bit of common sense. If you make a mistake analyse it later.

Also worth trying to concentrate on riding good lines on the road IMHO, amazing how much more visibility it can give a rider and more time to react. You start off having to think about where you should be but after a while it becomes second nature and feels right when you are riding.

Another important factor is judgement of speed and distance, all gained through experience.

One of the most common mistakes I've witnessed in my 32 years riding is bottling into corners. Rider is suffering minor "red mist" maybe trying to keep up on a rideout and comes into a bend faster than intended, first reaction (survival instinct ?) get on the brakes, resulting invariably in the bike standing bolt upright and carrying hapless rider into the ditch. It's always worth having a go for it, I've surprised/frightened my self sh*tless (delete as applicable) on several occassions using this basic rule and have got round usually without even decking the footrests. Worst that can happen is that you fall off the lowside.

I don't know if others notice it but after a lengthy "spirited" ride cross country I feel really tired, I put it down to the concentration levels as I'm not riding tense, the faster you go the faster the scenery comes at you and the faster the reactions need to be, guess it all takes a toll on the energy levels........................one of the downsides of being an old bald pilot I suppose.

Hope you all have a great riding season in 2004 whatever you choose to ride whether it be trackdays, rideouts or touring.
Old 23-Feb-2004, 10:44

or if you do mention Macau, Isle of Man, or The North West, also mention that the traffic is all going the same way on those days.
Old 23-Feb-2004, 10:55
Dibble

Vman ...

You really are trying to make an impression here aren't you ..???? maybe you should try less hard to push your views and opinions onto others without taking into account other avenues of learning .....

You may well have something valuable to say but unfortunately by belittling others and taking such a head on viewpoint will not endear you to people here ...

I personally have done a fair amount of Roadcraft based training and its aided me no end on the road.

I have also done a fair number of track days and very little of the skills are interchangable, its a completely diferent mindset.

Its training for a purpose and I doubt you'd keep up with most IAM or RoSPA instructors ona spirited road ride.

Are youa Jehovahs Witness by any chance ..????

Cany wait to meet you at Box Hill ....

No, honest ..... you're a legend already ....

Dibble
Old 23-Feb-2004, 11:21
Dibble

Have you changed your car then ..????
Old 23-Feb-2004, 11:35
Bevel Head

Mood: Spring is coming, but its a bit
quote [ have you changed your car then?]

ROTFLMFAO
Old 23-Feb-2004, 11:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
VMan

The fat ex copper who i did my advanced training with was also an ex racer who had lapped the Isle of Man at 110+ on an FZR1000 and his attitude was LETS MAKE PROGRESS...SAFELY. his idea of progress was very rapid as well.

The examiner on the IAM course i did is a serving officer who makes sure u do it by the book for the test, but said afterwards he personally when at work will give the benefit of the doubt to someone speeding but ridng well, but will go to town if your riding is not so quick but obviously careless and unsafe.

PS i don't wear a sam brown belt either and having despatched since 1980 have covered enough miles at speed to have to had the pleasure of several road side chats with the law, and got away with a fair few.

I have covered well in excess on half a million miles on bikes but didn't bother my IAM until a few years ago. It was well worth it, as there's always something new to learn no matter what you've done.Wish i had done it earlier.

Also done CSS level1 and a few track days but the 2 r completely different and fun in their own ways. Advanced training doesn't have to be boring if u get the right instruction.
Old 23-Feb-2004, 12:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Vman

I don't mind u taking the p**s at all.

part of the fun of being on the board, can't take yourself too seriously.

Whilst i'm bragging about being a real biker, i love going fast as well
(Personal best of 205mph on the speedo but only 186mph thru the timing lights... just to give u another excuse to take the p**s)

However the moral is i love going quick but i hate hospital food, and love staying alive even more. The rest of my post was more aimed at the benefits of advanced training.

look forward to your next bout of sarcasm but please be repectful and address it to 'your most knowledgable Geordieness'
Old 23-Feb-2004, 12:54
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
I did Northants Police bikekraft last year, it's not a case of beating you over the head about speeding - general rules were to stick to 30 40 and 50 limits and make sensible progress in other places. It is only an assessment ride though, there is no tuition. They have a chat after, tell you what they think of your riding and encourage you to go on and do IAM advanced tuition, which I will probably do this year.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit