Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 15-Jul-2006, 23:45
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
Question Help and advice needed re: Chain Installation.

Hello Ladies & Gents,
I need some help and advice, I’ve just received my new Renthal front and rear Sprockets which have been fitted and a Tsubaki Gold X-Ring Chain.
I’ve repaired and replaced new chains on MTBs and have an excellent bicycle chain tool and I’ve also fitted a new chain on a motorbike with a ‘Connecting Link’, the type with the open / closed clip, but I’ve never riveted a motorcycle chain before, can anybody recommend a motorcycle chain tool, place to purchase etc or borrow me one ? Also, any constructive useful tips etc would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Richard.

P.S. I heard the DOC have a tool lending facility!
Old 15-Jul-2006, 23:46
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I normally whack it on with a hammer!!
Old 16-Jul-2006, 03:10
Big Twin

Keefy B gave me a good tip for fitting the Tsubaki chain, he had viewed a pic of the proper tool for the chain and basically he told me to get a punch about the same diameter of the pins through the link and cut a v through the centre of the punch so it will match the angle of the peining of the link pins already in place. The pins are hard so they need a good whack to pein them over properly. If you look closely at the pins you can soon work out just how the tool needs to be modified to achieve the same. Basically you end up hitting it a few times and then turning it 90 degrees and hitting it again.

Its hard to explain but quite obvious with everything in front of you. I fit the same chain to the Multi and the 996R and they both have been fine. It does help if you are able to have the chain flat so you can get an anvil or similar underneath to do the job right. The pins are very hard unlike some of the soft link types and I would not fancy trying to hammer them up against the rear sprocket. Although to get the chain flat you need to unhook it from the rear sprocket and also remove the front sprocket! Not easy if its torqued right up. If it just been replace though it should not be too tight. The Tsubaki 525 gold link chain seems pretty chunky and its a pig to get the front sprocket on and off with the chain in place as it fouls the engine cases as you slide the sprocket off (on the 996r anyway).

Maybe someone has the proper Tsubaki tool to lend you.

Good luck