Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Oct-2005, 19:55
Mille

pulling it off?

any peeps out there pulled off the primary gear on a ss of 96 vintage ? ive an 96 engine come my way and its not been to bad to take to bits up to now considering it had sat still since late 96 but the primary gear is proving stubbon dont want to force it would like to keep for spare so any advice would be of help thanks....only this to remove then i can split the crank cases .........all other parts from oil pump to starter motor up for grabs if interested let me know not asking much just to cover price of engine so very cheap parts on offer.....
Old 02-Oct-2005, 20:24
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
hi stephen how far have you got?? have you removed the oil pump ? then he lock tab washer needs knocking back and the nut undone ( this was as tight as) i locked the shaft by inserting a lentgh of shaved down broom handle thru the con rod supported by a couple of pieces of wood over the crankcase and then undone the nut with ring spanner and iron bar!! the gear then came off using a two/three legged puller and a slide hammer it is very tight!!!!!!!! the woodruff key then just fell out so it must have been tight on the tapered shaft

[Edited on 2-10-2005 by monstermob 998]
Old 02-Oct-2005, 20:49
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
This gear is usually on VERY tight, ideally use a 3 legged hydrolic puller, a slide hammer would do tho.

Good tip: dont remove the nut completely, leave it on just a couple of turns, so when the gear finally comes off the shaft it doesnt fly over the workshop and kill someone! with it on there loose, when the gear pops off it just hits the nut, loud bang but no broken fingers or windows!!

good luck