Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 05-Aug-2006, 18:54
Mille

My Scottish Adventure

Hi,
I recently Toured Scotland on my 04 Ducati 749S, this is how it went,

We left my house in Bromley on saturday 30th July and Headed Straight for glasgow, we to around Carlise when we hit our first snag, my friends Yamaha Thunderace Exup valve seized, so after about half hour of road siding fixing we were back under way, we finally reached our first destination, a friends cottage we were just intime for a big party, after many drinks i pass out and day 1 is complete.

We wake to find the sun is out shining and so we get underway heading for the erskine bridge then towards to helensborugh for the infamous 'wheelie' road, this road is like no other road i ever ever done, it is truly insane you just cannot keep the bike on the ground.
After some fun my panniers needed some serious attention as they were now sagging and rubbing on the tyre.
With the pannier adjustment now complete we headed up towards fort william to another recommended road about 10 miles south of Fort william,
The Locals call it the Scottsbergring, and i can see why, this is the greatest road ive ridden, it has everything its about 15 miles long and probably one of the only places you can melt your tyre like your on track.

We find a nice campsite in Glen Nevis and camp out for the night not before getting eaten alive by midgeys of course.

After Bad rain that night in the morning the weather looked bleak, we headed up toward malliag and go the ferry over to Skye, bad weather really starting to set in, everything getting damp and wet including our spirits, then at about 90mph on a gentle bend i suddenly nearly highside, the bungee holding the front of the panniers down had melted on the exhaust and laughed all my luggage off the bag and was being dragged along like a giant parachute, everything now had holes in it and i very nearly just crashed in the middle of nowhere in horrendous weather.
But we had to push on we headed for UIG where we had no choice other than to use the local youth hostel and to try out and repair my luggage.
We woke up the next day to find it wasnt raining anymore but the weather looked bleak we head up to the very top of skye and back round using the bridge back the mainland.
We took the scenic route up the west coast on single track roads all the way to gariloch where due to more rain we are forced to use another youth hostle.
We didnt let this dampen our spirits and went for a swim in the loch, it was pretty dam cold, then headed off to the pub for a few bevvys.
The weather now looked alot better as we headed off to Ullapool then up and back round to inverness great roads and nice weather means we didnt muck around some serious hoonage was done this day and with the weather finally on the up we spend our last night in a campsite in Invernes for the good price of £4.50.
Headed off to the local pub where pints and shots were had and getting very drunk indeed and a drunk walk back to the campsite shouting England!!!.
My last day was probably my favorite heading back down the loch ness roads is just amazing, roads like no other, we got to glasgow fairly sharpish for a pretty booring ride home.

some pictures here

The Start

The First Breakdown

The Cottage where we had the party

Some of the views, we were being showed round by a local (on the gixxer)

and a little clip from the scottsbergring

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...52872180155610

Last edited by Wave : 05-Aug-2006 at 18:57.
Old 05-Aug-2006, 18:55
Mille

The Infamous Scottsberg Ring road

The First campsite in Glen nevis

A Road at the very top of skye, past Uig

Just a nice view

Old 05-Aug-2006, 22:54
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Blimey

You didn't expect to go to Scotland and not get wet did you?

It sounds like one of those holidays which is never forgotten, for the good bits and bad!

As regards the panniers, a local girl was killed some years ago because her panniers got stuck in the rear wheel and she was thrown off. Her dad is a keen motorcyclist and he was following on his own bike and saw it happen. I honestly don't know how people ever get over something like that. Glad you were o.k. though.

Skye is a beautiful place and I keep meaning to go back. The pics brought back some good memories so thanks for posting them.
Old 05-Aug-2006, 23:05
Mille

I was up there last year on my cbr400, i mean what fun would it be if you done touring on a bike that was meant for it, me i prefer the challange i wanted to prove to everyone that my bike wont break down and i did both the Yamaha and the ZX6 had problems, the ducati ? not a ****ing peep.
Well apart from my poor luggage skills and the bike trying to highside ne because of it.
Old 05-Aug-2006, 23:26
Mille

pffft i had loads more luggage than that, the reason was it was secured at the front by a bungee going under the seat up the otherside and clipped onto the other pannier when it melted and let go the 90mph just ook it up like a gush.
the other other problem was because my panniers were so packed tight with gear, they sagged so after 2 days of trying to balance it i bought a load of bungee and just bungeed everything up, it worked by it sure did look a mess.
All part of the fun, next time ill go somewhere more sunny.
Old 05-Aug-2006, 23:39
Mille

ha i had 162 with all the luggage, she go no more, the aerodynamics were against me.
Old 06-Aug-2006, 09:01
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
Nothing under the exhaust and at just shy of 145 between Garve and Ullapool it was as solid as me **** in the morning !

all the shockcord was wrapped in aluminium foil and heat tape though Ian, the one across the back would probably melt without it

Only 5 weeks till we go back for a weeks touring