Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
View Poll Results: Which make of tyre would you choose to race on
Pirelli 25 64.10%
Metzeller 2 5.13%
Bridgestone 5 12.82%
Michelin 5 12.82%
Dunlop 0 0%
Avon 0 0%
Maxxis 2 5.13%
Continental 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-Apr-2009, 22:53
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
likewise buddy, will see you around the paddock this year, donnington timings stopped me going there and I'm in Germany for Angelsey!! seee you at the next one...as long as you have coffee on the go

Looking forward to it
Old 24-Apr-2009, 23:11
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
But when its 10am in the morning on the Isle of Man and your bike is lined up on Glencrutchery Road, the rider is just about to take off down Bray Hill on New Tyres at full blat, no tyre warmers, no warm up lap just a 150 mile, 1hr 20min 4 lap race ahead of him then it was the Pirellis he trusted his life to as did the majority of other riders.

According to a TT Marshall i just got off the phone to they use tyre
warmers
They are removed just before the off

Kev has run a bike or 2 at the TT........
Do a search on Adrian Crossan, I think it was he who rode Kevs bikes there, Quick lad too he is, VERY QUICK.
Old 25-Apr-2009, 00:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yes the bigger teams hae used tyre warmers over the last few years as they have the Gennys and the armoured hook up cables to reach across the parc ferme, Norml cables as seen in most paddocks aren't allowed,
When the race is called and the bikes released from Parc Ferme to line up on Glencruthey road its a big advantage if you have an early start number if you have been using warmers,
In 2002 when Adrian was riding Senna3's 1999 Fireblade fitted with the Ohlins bits off my Blade he started 89th in the Proddy 1000 dispite ending very quallifying session somewhere between 10th and 21st. With bikes going off at 10 sec intervals he sat there for just under 15 minutes waiting for his turn so warmers would have been of little use. With something like 70 slower riders starting ahead of him he had a lot of work to do and passing riders on the first lap with unscrubbed cold tyres was a necessity. That yar he finished 29th with only DJ passing him on the road.
Next year again using Pirellis, no warmers and my bikes he had 25th in Proddy 1000, 21st in the Junior and 24th in the Proddy 600 whch should have been a lot better if the race had run full distance after our early pitstop.
2004 this time on my ZXR400 again on Pirellis with no warmers, first practice was 2nd fastest in the Lightweight class, lapped at 108mph during the race but sadly crashed out of 7th on the final lap well within Silver replica time of McGuiness and the crash had nowt to do with the tyres, but totaled my £4k bike, now thats when racing becomes exspensive.

To right we are happy with Pirelli tyres, even on Dragon Evo Corsas at the Manx GP he was lapping at 115mph on his CBR600 Steelie, which is why we would always pay a bit more for Pirellis even though there were cheaper options available

A few pics as you an see even in the two pics from 2004 not everyone used warmers sadly the racer in the background of the Voxan pic is no longer with us because no make of tyre grips on a Diesel covered road

As to what tyres has Guy Martin been using on the roads, i'll let you work it out for yourselves

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/...02865fc521.jpg
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoG..._GuyMartin.jpg
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...Guy-Martin.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	A Crossan.JPG Views:	83 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	10624  Click image for larger version Name:	Pits002.JPG Views:	84 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	10625  Click image for larger version Name:	Pits003.JPG Views:	88 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	10626  Click image for larger version Name:	@Ditched.JPG Views:	87 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	10627  

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 25-Apr-2009, 11:45
Mille

No-one is disputing that Pirelli's are good tyres but as usual, for this subject, the posts degenerate into Yah Boo! posturing.

It turns the whole tyre debate into a joke, (perhaps that is a deliberate ploy by some), and the whole point is lost.

The fact that the topic keeps returning, indicates there is a problem, be it supply, price, rating, or otherwise.

Personally I got a trade deal for my tyres but others have paid thro' the nose.

This whole topic needs to be addressed from the top....there are alternatives now and they should be looked at in readiness for the 2010 season.

PS.

Kevin it is now general practice with 75% of the grid to have tyre warmers replaced on Glencrutchy road with "briefcase" gene's. TT and Manx GP

With many generators freely available for under £100 and tyre warmers even less.....A set of Pirelli Diablos (retail) now cost MORE

Last edited by faith-healer : 25-Apr-2009 at 11:58.
Old 25-Apr-2009, 12:50
MotoGP God

Vote as it stands at the moment and only counting 2009 DD entrants

Pirelli 16
Bridgestone 1 (maybe 2 )
Michelin 3
Maxxis 1

Old 25-Apr-2009, 14:45
Mille

As Ghost said earlier....and me....

....The vote is totally irrelevant as it doesn't distinguish between each manufacturer's product.

We could vote Avon and end up on "Speedmaster's" or Dunlop...and get "TT100's"

Can't we address this topic professionally ?
Old 25-Apr-2009, 16:36
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith-healer
As Ghost said earlier....and me....

....The vote is totally irrelevant as it doesn't distinguish between each manufacturer's product.

We could vote Avon and end up on "Speedmaster's" or Dunlop...and get "TT100's"

Can't we address this topic professionally ?

You call the above comment professional

Well going on previous knowledge and experience having been involved with DD since 2004 it leaves us with Pirelli and their Diabo and the Maxxis from what I'm told, unless the likes of Michelin, Dunlop etc have changed their views.

or should I list every tyre currently made by every company knowing most would not be suitable for a single tyre series.

I take it you would prefer another option to the Pirelli Diablo,
well Pirelli have ruled out any other tyre in their range for the time being but will no doubt support the use of a H rated Diablo Rosso in 2010 if its available.

Yet from the poll most people (as in the majority that have so far voted) favour using a Pirelli

Could always look into junking the single control tyre for 2010 and go with warmers and wets, that would suit me apart from the extra costs as I already have spare wheels with discs and wets, tyre warmers, genny and I'd be on either Pirellis or Metzelers and then I may as well be off to race in Minitwins

Old 26-Apr-2009, 01:59
500SD

I have sent Pirelli a email asking why they charge so much for a H rated road tyre average £190 retail a pair when i can buy a pair of corsa 3's for £220 for my 900ss
Old 26-Apr-2009, 13:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
I have sent Pirelli a email asking why they charge so much for a H rated road tyre average £190 retail a pair when i can buy a pair of corsa 3's for £220 for my 900ss

I thought they were 160 fitted from Holbeach?

So based on the poll, i'm not convinced there is a problem?

I'm all ears, please somebody rephrase it again?

DSC sets up a one make control series, invites people to come and play, they sign up, then toys go out the pram over the tyres? weird.... But i'm sure it is the same in MotoGP over the Bridgestones

If you want to make a positive difference, get on the race commitee, rather than sitting back whinging maybe? I double dare ya....
Old 26-Apr-2009, 14:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I can't believe this thread hasn't died yet.

The season has started, the rules are locked til the end of it, let's just get on with having fun on the track, whatever tyres we're using. The most important thing is that we're all on the same ones...