Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 26-May-2006, 18:12
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Roads are getting worse !!!!

Driving up the M1 this morning just North of J16A when the traffic starts to slow to a crawl, the advisory speed restriction lights show 40 then 30, queue ahead blah blah blah. We get a couple of miles further up the road to find two tossers in the outside lane changing the rear nearside wheel on a battered old white van. Everyone manages to avoid this and once past we get merrily on our way, no danger to the other road users I suppose because they aren't breaking the speed limit. Turn off onto the M6 and start getting the queues ahead signs just before the M6 toll road. None of us take any notice of them now as they are on most of the time to "encourage" traffic onto the toll road but once well onto the old M6 the radio gives out a warning of delays due to yet another accident. Sure enough we end up crawling along again until we pass the debris in Birmingham and then sail on until the massive section of roadworks where no roadworks ever appear to actually take place. Finally get to my destination in Stafford about an hour late.

Set off home after conducting my business there to find yet more delays on the M6 just South of Birmingham. Traffic totally stopped and no sign of any movement for the forseeable future. Turned off the engine and relaxed. Eventually the traffic started creeping along in that typical stop start fashion, a guy in a big Audi comes past with one hand holding his mobile phone, the other for some inexplicable reason wrapped around the back of his head, tosser !!!! Couple of miles of stop start further up the M6 and we come to one of those awful new "mini's" on the hard shoulder tangled up with some sort of MPV. Once past the scene we are immediately up to normal speed. The tail back on the Northbound carriageway caused by rubber neckers stretched back about 4 miles with traffic in the middle of it stationary.

Why the hell do we see so many accidents on a dead straight road ! When will there be a clamp down and fines for causing delays to other road users ? When will Police start to enforce the mobile phone laws ?

I'm just glad that I work from home and don't have to travel on our bolloxed road system too often these days.

[Edited on 26-5-2006 by Webteam]
Old 26-May-2006, 18:25
500SD

Policing is poor because there is no money in it.
Old 26-May-2006, 18:34
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
The other week I had to drive back from Southampton to Derby area. Decided on the A34 / M40 / M69 / M1 route.

Got on to the A34 and got held up as there were 5 accidents along a single stretch of 10 miles or so. 2 accidents had closed the A34 in 2 places and needed the air ambulance.

A 3hr drive ended up taking just over 5 hours
Old 26-May-2006, 20:10
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
I think it's to do with lack of driver training, lack of driver awareness and people having a false sense of security due to being coccooned in their 4wd or air bag / safety cell protected lounge on wheels.
Old 26-May-2006, 21:00
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

From one of the TV programmes I watched recently it would appear that quote a large number of people are driving around with NO training or licences. They obviously can't get insurance so are just literally an accident waiting to happen.

I've noticed quite a few vehicles with Eastern European plates driven by the typical early twenties lads running around this part of the country lately, seen a few dodgy moves when they can't work out where they are.

How come you can take the theory test for a UK driving licence in about twenty different languages ? Shouldn't it have to be taken in English ? Before someone kicks off about how we drive abroad with our UK licenses without necessarily knowing the lingo I would add that this is a temporary use not full time.
Old 26-May-2006, 21:31
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by m1keyp
Policing is poor because there is no money in it.

Yeah, more money!

They are not accidents they are collisions.......caused by you the Public!
Old 26-May-2006, 21:36
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
You want to try driving it every day.

I drive from Cheshire/Derbyshire border just south of Manchester to Central Birmingham via M6 and trust me it is hell.

The worst culprit.... RAIN

Bit of bad weather and the driving public go to pieces it drives me nuts
Old 26-May-2006, 21:56
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
You want to try driving it every day.

I drive from Cheshire/Derbyshire border just south of Manchester to Central Birmingham via M6 and trust me it is hell.

Bit of bad weather and the driving public go to pieces it drives me nuts

I don't think they go to pieces, they just don't change their driving style at all.

Drove to Leeds today (via cornerspeed for tea, advice and a new tyre at Stewarts) and no one seems to alter speed or distances at all. Everyone at 90+ and leaving bugger all gap despite dreadful visibility.
Old 26-May-2006, 22:06
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:

and speed
Old 27-May-2006, 00:07
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
Quote:

and speed

Are you sure it isn't morons that are the worst culprits ?