Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Jun-2005, 17:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Building wrist strength?

As the title says....

Basically after yesterdays first track day of the year for me I was shocked and in pain how much my right wrist was hurting after only a few laps, which meant I had to be more gentle on the brakes, which I guess is costing me time.

I've been looking at once of those dynaflex powerball things and that seems like a good way of building some more strength or should I go for one of the more traditional spring grip squeeze together thingies? Or is anything else available?
Old 03-Jun-2005, 17:47
Dibble

MW (Lizzies other half) had both his wrists operated on last year for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and he used one of these from Golds Gym to rebuild his wrist strength, he's been quite happy with it ...

http://www.goldsgymdirect.co.uk/prod...49/af/page.htm

Old 03-Jun-2005, 17:51
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I've seen some stuff (I think it's called "Stomp") that's like your grannies non-slip shower mat that you can apply to the sides of your tank or other strategic bits.

The CSS usually have some in their shop and Butch has some on his 749R. I sat on this bike at the BMF and the stuff enables you to grip the tank like a limpet with your knees.

It doesn't look pretty but it works, then you can take all the braking force by gripping the tank rather than putting all your weight on your wrists
Old 03-Jun-2005, 17:53
Dibble

Stomp Pads, available mail order from the CSS
Old 03-Jun-2005, 17:56
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Jools[/i

It doesn't look pretty but it works, then you can take all the braking force by gripping the tank rather than putting all your weight on your wrists

I could be wrong here but I doubt that JPM takes all his weight through his wrists under braking anyway Jools.
I know from my own experience on track that the effort of just physically pulling the lever can be quite high, especially after a long straight into a slow corner.
The other things which batter my wrists are steering and hanging off in long corners, so it's probably a cumulative thing.
JP, how about squeezing a squash ball in the absence of 'owt else?
That thing Dibble has put up looks good though.
Old 03-Jun-2005, 18:15
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
The Powerball is great...we've got a league at work for high scores!!!
It's a little bit addictive too and it's suprising just how much it makes you work your wrists & forearms.
Old 03-Jun-2005, 18:17
BSB Star

Jen, you've got it right there, the main thing is the braking force and it does get increasingly difficult just to pull the brake lever towards the bar so consequently I shut off earlier to give my hand/wrist a bit of a rest
Old 03-Jun-2005, 18:19
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
The Powerball is great...we've got a league at work for high scores!!!
It's a little bit addictive too and it's suprising just how much it makes you work your wrists & forearms.

I have tried one briefly but not for doing anything, just curiousity then, and apart from gaining strength as you say there's an RPM meter or something, so I guess it becomes a bit of a game thus keeping me interested
Old 03-Jun-2005, 18:36
Mille

Mood: counting
umm power ball just for its idiocy
difficult doing both hands at the same time though
Old 03-Jun-2005, 18:49
500SD

The powerball is excellent, or buy a Kwak z1, after a while using the clutch and brakes you will have arms like Arnie.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit