Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Feb-2006, 19:48
Big Twin

Any RGV 250 Experts here??

I am looking to get an RGV 250 Track day bike. What do I look for when going to get one?? How robust are they?
I also VFR 400 or ZXR 400 which are 2 others im thinking of.
Any advise or other recomendations welcome.
Old 04-Feb-2006, 19:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Not an expert on RGV's. It's certainly different to the 400's you mention. The ZXR400 is very popular with club racers, so there are certainly plenty of spares available. If you're after a track only bike, I'd look at a well sorted 400 from a racer that's hanging up his leathers. Have a look at some of the club boards like Derby-Phoenix, Bemsee, NG, etc. You should be able to pick up a good one with plenty of spares for about £2k. They are certainly great fun around a track.
Old 04-Feb-2006, 20:10
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello Mr C

A guy at work bought rgv250, althought it was sitting around for a number of years in a garage and although in good nick, he has had endless problems with the carbs, and trying to get it ticking over correctly, and as a result has not got it running for over a year. (But I think its more to do wil time to work on it) But he said something about Stan Stevens is your man for tunning. And he has bought and sold bits on this site. maybe of some use.

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/

good luck

regards

TopiToo
Old 04-Feb-2006, 20:20
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by TopiToo
Hello Mr C

A guy at work bought rgv250, althought it was sitting around for a number of years in a garage and although in good nick, he has had endless problems with the carbs, and trying to get it ticking over correctly, and as a result has not got it running for over a year. (But I think its more to do wil time to work on it) But he said something about Stan Stevens is your man for tunning. And he has bought and sold bits on this site. maybe of some use.

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/

good luck

regards

TopiToo

Ive just noticed the "Technical Problems Help" section of that RGV forum has 2571 topics Apart from the "General Chit chat" section its 5 times more than any other section............. Erm i'll take the ZXR Please!!!!
Old 04-Feb-2006, 20:36
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello Mr C

wise move IMHO

regards

TopiToo
Old 04-Feb-2006, 20:40
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
I would go with Felix Paul, well a 4 stroke anyway, VFR, RVF, ZXR, CBR whatever I am sure will be more reliable, have fun dude !

I just want something fun and cheap.. bit like the women I go out with!!!!! (Thank God she will never read this)

Although ive always loved the look of the RGV.
Old 04-Feb-2006, 21:00
500SD

I had a padjetts kitted RGV, same spec as whitam's minus the dry clutch, 72 bhp.

theres plenty to go wrong, at some point the powervalves will drop into the barrel, can range from new valves to new engine.

a lot have been run on chip fat, youll be lucky to find a gud en , bearing in mind how old the are now

[Edited on 4-2-2006 by Real McCoy]
Old 04-Feb-2006, 21:06
888 at Last !!!

I was watching this one on ebay just recently >
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The VJ22 model is the one to have. This one was particularly good in my opinion. Something similar would be worthy track day material.
Old 04-Feb-2006, 21:45
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
I had 2, and im a big big fan..bit if you were adamant on a lightweight stroker i'd point you towards an RS Aprilia as its much less likely to have been club raced.

I got caught out on my second RGV despite looking over it ! (mint bodywork should have been a giveaway but I was young, dumb and full of c** to quote that guy in 'point break'

The 'M' RGV (which youd probably look at - banana swingarm, stacked pipes etc) also had the temperemental 3 stage power valves I think - mine were seizing and it wasnt a cheap fix. Ended up putting the older 2 stage valves on from the earlier bike...great fun - It was like a bloody on/off switch when it hit the pwer band !!!

Nat
Old 04-Feb-2006, 23:31
Montjuic

Mood: Getting faster!
Ive got one, like Nat says mental when they are sorted (need a top end rebuild every 10000).

Loads of spares around and a lot more involving than a 400.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit