Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Feb-2006, 23:35
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Mate, a RGV would be a great fun track bike but i think a 400 would be cheaper and as quick if not quicker up top. I love my VJ23 (the rare jap only SP model) but i know what its good at and where a 400 would be better.
If budget is the key then NC30 is a good bet. ZXR's are the quickest but tend to go pop if tuned and head gaskets can be fun. Not saying NC30's arn't perfect but very reliable if difficult and expensive to tune.
have a look at www.rgv250.co.uk but dont dare mention a diesel on there unless you like being shot down in flames. I love strokers but they have had thier day and i am not one for rose tinted specs even although i still say my RC30 is the best bike i have ever ridden period
Old 05-Feb-2006, 16:43
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
You might also try a CBR400 NC29, very reliable, best midrange of most 400`s, ( I know, I raced one) the only thing you must do is stick a taller shock in it, one from a CBR600 goes straight in, just not sure wich model.
Pic is from roadstock race at mallory

Chris.
Old 05-Feb-2006, 22:16
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
why not go for aprilla rs250 same engine i have one as my track bike great fun
Old 05-Feb-2006, 23:21
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Mr C, get a vfr or rvf solid as a rock, reliable FAF and plenty of bits still out there...............

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by andyb]
Old 05-Feb-2006, 23:23
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
playing.saves getting the duke wet...
Old 06-Feb-2006, 13:42
500SD

Mood: DOH!
I'm not an expert but an RGV is like any other bike, it needs looking after.
A good one will be fine but you need to get a good one.
Why worry about it being an ex race bike if you want it for track use? An ex race bike is the best way to get one which is fully sorted and is hence less likely to go pop.
The RS Aprilia uses the same engine and costs more, GSXR and FZR 400's are every bit as unreliable as an RGV, CBR is SLOW but handles beaytifully, VFR is a little quicker but not as easy to ride, RVF is no quicker than a VFR, it's heavier and way more expensive and the ZXR is the racers choice, also the fastest.
I see no good reason to buy a 400 over a 250 stroker but bear in mind that a 250 takes a real good rider to get the best from it, and you will have to be prepared to look after it properly.
Check out www.rgv250.co.uk and www.400.greybike.co.uk for all the good advice you could possibly want.
HTH,
Jen.

[Edited on 6-2-2006 by desmojen]
Old 06-Feb-2006, 14:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Meant to mention this before: If your heart is set on a stroker, I'd go for one of the non-road bike ones, like a Yamaha TZ 250 or Honda RS250. Proper bikes these as Monty will attest to. The Yamaha's are not hard to find at decent money.
Old 07-Feb-2006, 00:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Thanks Felix, you saved me flaming you.
If you want a stroker get an early TZ250, they are built for the track, bits are easy to get and they are easy to maintain yourself. Pistons and rings will do 500 miles easy on trackdays, cranks will do 1500. A top end rebuild will cost £140 for pistons, rings, little ends, and pins, takes about 45 minutes to do if you aren't in a hurry-lots quicker if you are. They crash very well, don't break unless you hit them VERY hard, and will show most 600's the way round. My TZ has been known to show R1's and Mille 'R's the way round, and I'm an old duffer. The Honda RS250 is another good one but there are not so many early ones about. My TZ cost me £2000 3 years ago complete with spare wheels and loads of bits-oh and I'm not selling.

John
Old 07-Feb-2006, 08:08
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally posted by desmojen
GSXR and FZR 400's are every bit as unreliable as an RGV, CBR is SLOW but handles beaytifully, HTH,
Jen.

[Edited on 6-2-2006 by desmojen]

Shame on you, CBR400 NC29 is not SLOW, I admit it is hardley tuneable due to it having gear driven cams & that means not being able to raise the compression effectifly. but I lapped mallory ( before Edwinas ) with my bike in roadstock trim, ie lights indicators etc, with a best time of 57.0 secs.
And which bike has won more honours at the TT in the 400 class than any other, Honda CBR400 NC29

Chris.
Old 07-Feb-2006, 10:45
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Had an RGV250 L and used to rebuild it every 1,000 miles due to those damn power valves dropping into the barrel and making contact with the pistons! It got to the point where I was on first name terms with Stan Stephens...

The problem was that the exhaust valves used to coke, then they'd start to stick, then they'd simply break up (especially the earlier multi-part ones) and drop into the barrel. I read somewhere that there is now a modification to the valves to stop this, and it certainly sounded worth doing. Following on from the sticky valves you end up with burnt out actuator motors, stretched cables, ovaled pulleys, etc, etc. Not cheap to replace!

They were great bikes, handled well and wicked 2-stroke power curve on them. But having ridden the RVG250 and the RVF400 back to back (and also side by side up the dual carriageway!) the RVF wins it every time.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit