Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 15-Mar-2006, 10:51
500SD

something Japanese - bullet proof reliability!!!!
Old 15-Mar-2006, 11:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmmmm....VW Golf

In our office there were about 8 people with assorted VW's as company cars. Sharans, Passats and various Golfs, a mixture of petrol and diesel version amongst them as well.

The term "If everything in life was as reliable as a VW" became a standing joke because ALL the VW's were the most unreliable cars in the fleet. Since our car policy allows you to have what you want up to a set lease price the 'fleet' included stuff that you would think would be trounced by VW's in the quality stakes - stuff like Alfas, but the VW's were consistently in and out of the garage for something - not just niggles either, we're talking about stuff that kept them off the road.

The dealer network didn't seem to give a stuff either and all the VW drivers were unanimous that they would never have another one. That was about a year ago with dealers in and around Bedford. Things might be better now or in other areas
Old 15-Mar-2006, 13:08
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Thanks for the feedback guys, I reckon the Focus is sounding favorite so far.

Personally I'd find another £1000 and buy another Celica. Best vehicle I've ever owned - but then Dan isn't a flash git like moi

Old 15-Mar-2006, 15:47
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
SEAT Ibiza diesel. Also based on VW technology. Good build quality, and excellent road holding. Big boot, excellent fuel economy.
Hired and drove one round the Costa Banca last year, does those twisty swirveries really well.
3k will get you a decent car too.

Ains.
Old 15-Mar-2006, 16:01
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Got a nice N reg Golf VR6 with a cooked engine in it, black with black leather.

Rebuilt the top and bottom end but still rattles a bit.

£1000 he can spend the other Two grand on insurance
Old 15-Mar-2006, 16:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
4 years ago my car insurance company took the **** and wanted to charge me £1200 a year, I sold the £15k car and went out armed with £1200 and bought a 1993 Volvo 850. I ran it for 3 years and put 45000 more miles on it with nothing more than servicing and 4 tyres. I then sold it to go back to the expensive car.....the expensive car lasted 2 months till I sold it and went and bought a 1999 Volvo S70 for £3000.
So what I am saying in my roundabout way is buy an old Volvo I have never had such cheap comfy motoring, only downside is the 30-35 mpg but there is nearly 0 depreciation
Old 15-Mar-2006, 16:43
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Good idea Couchie, that was cheap for an S70 too

I quite like Volvo's - be good to rob it off him too on race weekends (can get all my gear in and comfy travel)

I see a plan forming!!

Eric - That the sort of thing I'd buy, and then blow up!!

Ains - Thanks for the SEAT tip.
Old 15-Mar-2006, 16:55
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Talking about old Volvos, funnily enough, I'm about to do the same thing.

I've got a 32,000 mile old Volvo C70 convertible, that I've owned since new, which according to Glass' guide should be worth about £13.5K retail.

Now that I work at home I've only done 2.5K miles in the last year, so it's an expensive lump of metal to have sitting around doing the best part of FA.

It's especially expensive to have a flash convertible sitting around, since I've just learned this week that Mrs Jools (who is in hospital as I write this) has definitely developed Multiple Sclerosis and may not be able to work anymore (well, not until she can walk anyhow).

It's due for it's MOT and Tax at the end of this month, so I will get that done then take Mrs Jools on a jaunt to Devon in early April, 'cos her best friend has just moved to a place near Barnstaple. Hopefully the sun will be out, we can get the top down and use the journey as the last hurrah for the car. After that I'll be selling it for about a couple of grand below Glass' valuation for a quick sale.

It's a lovely car, but being a convertible there's not enough boot space for a wheelchair

It'll have to go to make way for one of those big old Volvo estates - you know...the ones that bikers hate

So, watch this space in a month's time if you fancy a bargain convertible

[Edited on 15-3-2006 by Jools]
Old 15-Mar-2006, 17:05
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Best wishes to Mrs Jools
Old 15-Mar-2006, 22:13
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
If its any help i have owned a new Y plate TD focus, great car and the handling is good. Engine was quick enough and it cruises well and is quiet (astra TDI was quieter). it started to loosen up at 50k and was a belter.
Now own one of the last of the old shape 54 plate TDCI 100bhp focus, its a bit quicker but not that much, feels more like different gearing. this ones still good but build quality is not quite as good as the Y plate one and just doesnt feel as together as my old one.
On the TDI 90bhp diesel, it took around £40 to fill it when dry, and i managed around 350 - 400 miles per tank depending on driving. The new TDCI holds the same but manages as extra 50 per tank even if thrashin it to death.
Had a R reg golf, it was a bit quicker than the focus but didn't handle the same and wasnt as comfy or as well put together funnily enough.
Other option is the astra, good car, comfy handles well but for me the focus has a bit more of a raw edge and you can feel exactly how far to push it and what its doing if you know what i mean.
Focus every time. good luck

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit