Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 22-Jun-2006, 15:47
Mille

Ducati Hatred

I have notice since going Ducati about a month ago how many people are bitter about them.

The Reliabilty being overly exaggerated, and stories of £1000 services ?
im getting a service and cam belts changed next week for £250.

Now try to explain to someone that owns a kawasaki that the build quality isnt ****, it is infact alot better than your bike.

i mean you only have to look at each part on a ducati to see the quality the care taken.

The yokes, the suspenion, the wheels, the trellis frame.

Its a bit one man band when you own a ducati trying to explain as youll bet your luck 95% have Jap bikes which are pretty much ALL the same.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:06
Mille

Mood: childish
ive not noticed any hatred towards ducati owners in the 7 odd years of living with them. a touch of jelousy maybe the reason behind snide coments. (maybe thats why kawasakis are green?)

i find you pays your money & takes your choice. earier dukes did have an issue with electrics & there were reliability problems in certain areas but nowadays i believe they are as good as any other manufacturer.

i guess there are just alot of uninformed riders out there...
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:16
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Join the Club, ride with fellow Ducati riders and hear no more BS from the majority. Feel the Force young Skywalker 4D
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Similar reasons for hanging back and buying a Ducati, all the so-called bad press.
As of yet had no problems and really wished I'd done it sooner.
But the snob issue is every where. When I used to commute to work on my BMW very rarely got a nod, even got cut up by a guy on a Honda.
Most of the time I ride my St4s now. Had to take the BM for a MOT, forgot what I was riding and kept getting miffed why other bikers would not nod back.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:29
Mille

Im talking about friends, they all ride Japanese bikes and seem to find storys based on something from an old duke, chinese whispers means it ends up being of i heard this and this happens on ducatis and they cost £1000 to service and they are poorly built.

which when you compare it to a a kawasaki the quality is exellent .

And yea everyone now seems to think im a snob and wont take my view seriously.
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmanrus
i guess there are just alot of uninformed riders out there...

Probably because there are lot of uninformed, lazy journalists out there who keep perpetuating the myth that Ducatis are unreliable and that they have **** electrics - the reg/rec situation was sorted years ago but I think that the Journos still have a bunch of stock phrases that get trotted out as a pavlovian response to the word Ducati.

I've got two bikes - and between them they've only let me down (to the point where I just couldn't get the bike to start) once in around 30,000 miles - that was a flat battery that was my own stupid fault for not plugging the Optimate in.

I have had two minor electrical problems that have caused the bike to die while out riding, one on each bike. One was a dodgy relay connection on my ST that was fine after it had been cleaned up by KeefyB's thumbnail, the other was a fuse terminal connector (for the fuel pump) that had worked its way loose and was only making intermittent contact. Neither of these breakdowns took much more than an hour or so to fix by the side of the road and in fact both times these breakdowns took place right outside a pub so we had chance to neck a couple of beers while doing the repairs.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 22-Jun-2006, 16:50
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
There's plenty of doumentary evidence (photos) of both the ease in which Jools' T8 was fixed and the fact that said breakdown's are most likely to happen outside a pub.
There's photos of beer being consumed, too (yeah, like you needed evidence of THAT!).
Old 22-Jun-2006, 17:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
they ARE expensive to run/service keep on the road compared to a jap bike.....and lets be honest alot of distate from Ducati owners is directed to people that own jap bikes...........................you/we/them whoever are as guilty as brand hatred as the jap owners.................

i should know LOL..i am now a Jap bike owner.................
Old 22-Jun-2006, 17:15
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
My Bmw is not far behind in the running costs, but at least it's a twin and not one of those 4 cylinder things!
Old 22-Jun-2006, 17:25
Mille

Ive had 3 Jap bikes before i got the ducati, but it seems everything has to be compared when you have a duke.
its always Jap bike vs duke.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit