Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 22-Apr-2004, 11:24
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Martin, I would LOVE to do that, but don't have the time. I work\study too many hours as it is (Computer Infrastructure Architect), spend time with my wife and kids, play a sport or two, go to the gym, try to ride the other bikes, go to track days .. (drinking beer and watching sport of various kinds)

A restoration project would take me 8 years to finish, and thats IF I knew what I was doing, which I don't .. although I'm sure I could learn ...

It is a good idea though .. if I did that then I would have three bikes too and that would mean child support to pay ....

TP

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by tp-996]
Old 22-Apr-2004, 14:21
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Martin ??

Darren (I think )

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by 748daz]
Old 22-Apr-2004, 14:29
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Have as many bikes as you like but please ride em. That's what they're made for.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 22-Apr-2004, 14:39
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
You live in Twickenham and work where, in the city? Why not buy a Japanese middleweight for a grand and use that for the half hour commute. No worries about paint falling off, getting it nicked, letting it sit outside in the rain corroding away, dropping it 'cos some myopic retard has decided he'll go in the opposite direction and didn't check what was coming.

Much as I love my Ducati I know it's not the most practical or reliable machine in the world. I don't commute into town anymore but when I did my 400 Honda was infinitely better than any Ducati for weaving my way through the traffic. And being a Honda I also knew that it'd carry on doing it with the worst treatment I or London could throw at it.

Darren
Old 22-Apr-2004, 14:45
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Can I just say, it's not much of a dilemma is it
Mmmm, what second Ducati shall I buy? It must be tough
Old 22-Apr-2004, 15:18
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Sorry Darren - got all mixed up there!

It is a good dilemma to have Desmondo, I agree. I've recently changed roles and so my commute is mainly to Sunbury with one or two days a week in Hemel Hempstead or in Bank. Having said that I am a contractor so it could all change tomorrow and my commute could be from the bedroom downstairs to the toaster in the mornings and thats it!

I had considered buying a little Japanese bike, and it makes perfect sense but I want a Ducati. I can't justify it at all - I just want one I've owned a ZZR600 before (amongst other things) and it was a good bike .. but thats it, just a good bike. I want more and can afford more now and I really love the Ducati's so I want to fulfill that desire to own them. Ultimately I would like to have a garage full of the lovely Italian beauties If the wife gets her house when we are back in Oz and we travel reasonably regularly and the kids are all schooled up etc we can't see any reason why we shouldn't have a 'stable' of Ducati's. I'm just getting started now ...

Last night I went through the Multi forum on this board and jumped over to the multistrada.net site as well and had a good look around. I'm leaning towards a Mulitstrada at the moment so we'll just have to see how we get on.

Thanks for all your input so far, it's good to see other people's opinions. It's interesting that no-one else frequenting this board appears to have ordered a Sports Classic model .. does that reflect some thinking in the 'Why join DSC' thread about the DSC being mainly (not strictly) about modern Ducati's and not the bevel's? I know the Sport Classics aren't bevels but you know where I'm going ... let me clarify though, I don't think that's a bad thing. Horses for courses and all that.

hrmmm ... (he says tapping his chin)
Old 22-Apr-2004, 15:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I haver ridden a multistrada and wiuld say its a good commuter bike, I would describe it as a 1000cc supermoto in riding position, you get an excellent view ahead and the relatively wide bars etc make it easy to weave throught the traffic.

I would put the Paul Smart rep in the same category as the 996, a bike for holidays and high days, not really a day to day commuter, some might not agree but heh ho!

I know some do use 748/9** bikes everyday all year round but there are also some who regard a caterham as an acceptable day to day car, Heh ho again!

Also depends how soon you want to take delivery, Multis are available now, 2005 for the Paul Smart?

Ray.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit