Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 28-Apr-2004, 12:39

Newbie needs advice

I'm considering a ducati for my first bike bike having only ever ridden little 125's. I only have 3k to spend on one and am considering 750 ss, 600 ss or perhaps a monster?

TIA for any tips/ advice etc muchly appreciated.

AL
Old 28-Apr-2004, 12:58
Mille

Mood: In fear of what's in store.
I am the last one to give you advice ( cause I am a bird ! ) but just wanted to say ' welcome to the board ! '

Old 28-Apr-2004, 13:10
Mille
Bikes: 2001 aprillia rsv mille

Mood: my sanity requires a bike
Welcome to the wonderfull world of Ducati. . You can find some very good air cooled 750ss's for that price, and IMHO they are an excellent bike, good looking, wonderfull sounds, and the Ducati appeal that get's in your blood.
As for a monster, all of the above applies. it just depends if you want a fairing or not.
The best advice i can give is to try them for size, and get a test ride if possible,(not easy if it's your first bike).
Best of luck, (whatever you do don't compare them to jap bikes, i'ts all about character and smiles per miles)

Gordy.
Old 28-Apr-2004, 13:45
888 at Last !!!

For a good 1999 / 2000 model 750ss you're looking at about £3300 - £3500. 600 monsters £2300 upwards, 750 monsters £3100 upwards.

You could get a nice 900sl (superlight) 1993 model for about £2500

But for a first bike, maybe not.

Anyway I'd say find out what type of bike you're after (style wise) as the monster / SS range although having the same engines have very different styling and characteristics. Once you know what model you want learn as much as you can about it via websites. When you know all the model types, years, colours etc then go looking for one.

I'd personally go for a 750ss 1999 model, full fairing in red with as many goodies as possible.
Old 28-Apr-2004, 15:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Ali G,

I would go for a monster as it were. No bodywork to worry about if ya fall over. Quite a few around in yer price range. Go for a small un and the insurance ain't gonna kill ya either.

They are plenty fast enough to start on and our Yorkshire region loon Mr Y seems to keep up Ok on the road on his 600.

respec to tha Staines posse!

Ray
Old 28-Apr-2004, 15:19

Thanks for all your replies, given me some food for thought.

I do prefer the styling of the 600/750 ss models and like the idea of a full fairing. It would definately have to be red

I initially favoured the 600 ss but read some reviews (couldn't find much on the web) and most people said they were okay for a firest bike but found they lacked power, which made me think about the 750

Basically, it is going to be a nice weather, weekend play thing. Not a commuter as i'll use my car for that.

Is there anything in particular that i need to check when looking to buy one of these machines.

Thanks again

AL

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit