Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jul-2004, 19:24
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
paint

Hi

does anyone know the paint code or eqivalent paint for a (very)dark grey/black 2000 reg ST2?

cheers
Old 28-Jul-2004, 10:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
If you look in the back of the owners manual it should tell you the names of all the colours for that particular model year. If you don't have the owners manual it's available by clicking on this link and downloading it

Once you know the name of the colour, you can go to a paint factor who stocks PPG paints (PPG are the paint manufacturer that Ducati use) and they will have the right colour codes and the colour formula so they'll be able to make it up for you. You can contact PPG the UK on 01753 611500 if you want to find a local stockist.

For the DIY market, they should be able to make up aerosols if you don't have a compressor and spray gun, and you'll most likely find that the finish is what's called base coat and lacquer where you build up 4 or 5 coats of base colour, flat it back to a matt finish with 1500 grade wet & dry, then squirt clear lacquer over it to make it glossy again.

DIY aerosols are OK, but they don't give you a huge amount of chip resistance, so if you're doing anywhere that might suffer from stone chips you might be better off biting the bullett and getting it done professionally. They'll use two-pack paint and two pack lacquer which is epoxy based and much harder. They won't sell you that if you are a DIY'er because it gives off poisonous fumes until it's cured so you need to have some sort of license to prove you've got a suitably equipped spray booth and breathing equipment.
Old 28-Jul-2004, 12:57
Mille

Hi

I can't find the paint codes, I checked my manual and downloaded several ST2 manuals of different years and searched for the paint codes. I must be going blind...
What I really need it those touchup pens that you can get. My scratches/stone hits are only minor but trust ducati to use a white base

I've found metalic grey in the 2003 manual but I think thats most likely to be the newer colour. Mines the very very dark grey, almost black one. It's definitely not in the earlier manuals
Old 28-Jul-2004, 16:31
Mille

Got a reply from ducati UK I'll put it here for reference incase someone else needs in sometime

BASF 291.500 - Black/dark grey for 2000 model ST2s
Old 28-Jul-2004, 16:47
Mille

the next question is; anybody know a supplier?
Old 28-Jul-2004, 17:59
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Paint

If PPG are the supplier then try this link

I am sure they will put you in touch with a local supplier

http://www.ppg.com/refineurope/phase...ntactUsMsg.asp