Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Jan-2009, 19:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
But the wheel is not modified in any way by adding weights, it is just balanced and yes the same can apply to a complete crankshaft assembly, in that you can mix and match rods pistons etc to balance a crank without having to modify the crankshaft.
But few people resort modifying by drilling or grinding their wheels to acheive balance.
So back to the rule, it says No modification of the Crankshaft, It does not say no balancing of the crankshaft asembly by selecting matchingcomponents

As for 916 wheels as far as I know a 916 front wheel is no different from a 620 front wheel and as the rule says
1.6.5 Wheels

Wheels including diameter and rim width must remain as originally produced by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes.
Front wheel 17” X 3.5”, Rear Wheel 17” X 4.5”

There is no issue with using a 620 front or rear wheel in a 583 and if the 748/916 front wheel is the same part as a 620 it can also be used.
Did they fit any 620s with 5 spokes as found in the 996, if not then I doubt these would be allowed

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:01
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
count me in.. i can crash them just as well as a DD bike

Is that Druids?
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:02
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Quite right re the last sentence

For example the same front wheel (501.2.069.1AB) is fitted to both MY03 620 and 750 Monsters.
So if I took a front wheel off a 750Monster from another year and used it, would it be illegal?

Mind you, my bike has a 900ss frame, Mhe900e forks, a 750ss rear wheel and an ST2 front wheel so I might as well be banned now and save on all the race entries...

...there's a saying that goes along the lines of ".......won't be troubling the scorers!!"
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Did they fit any 620s with 5 spokes as found in the 996, if not then I doubt these would be allowed

Nope, not even the Capirex as standard - I've already checked.

Mind you, there are mag wheels listed in the DP catalog as suitable for the 620s - surely that complies with "originally produced by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes.
Front wheel 17” X 3.5” " ?? Then I figured the 500quid would be better spent on improving ability through tracktime or Magners. Guess what I chose?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:10
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
...there's a saying that goes along the lines of ".......won't be troubling the scorers!!"

No change there then

Think I'd better use the spare bike then - oh wait, its got a 999 fuse in it

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:14
GTL

Mood: Been Testing the 3 P's (Pizza, Pasta, & PERONI!)
Lightbulb Lighter Wheels you say......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
But the wheel is not modified in any way by adding weights, it is just balanced and yes the same can apply to a complete crankshaft assembly, in that you can mix and match rods pistons etc to balance a crank without having to modify the crankshaft.
But few people resort modifying by drilling or grinding their wheels to acheive balance.
So back to the rule, it says No modification of the Crankshaft, It does not say no balancing of the crankshaft asembly by selecting matchingcomponents

As for 916 wheels as far as I know a 916 front wheel is no different from a 620 front wheel and as the rule says
1.6.5 Wheels

Wheels including diameter and rim width must remain as originally produced by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes.
Front wheel 17” X 3.5”, Rear Wheel 17” X 4.5”

There is no issue with using a 620 front or rear wheel in a 583 and if the 748/916 front wheel is the same part as a 620 it can also be used.

To quote Sir Falon's Monster and SS book:

1998 onwards

Frame and Cycle Parts

" With Brembo wheels..........from the 916 and ST2 having larger diam. (25mm) axles.........."

".....the wheels were also lighter than before at 225 grams on the front and 800 grams on the rear"

It's easy to spot which ones they are if you compare them side by side.
However, ther is only one sort that will slot straight into a Monnie or SS without palava with the rear wheel bearings and wheel bearing spacers.

(and I'm not gonna tell you which one that is.......;-) )
MarkO
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Nope, not even the Capirex as standard - I've already checked.

Mind you, there are mag wheels listed in the DP catalog as suitable for the 620s - surely that complies with "originally produced by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes.
Front wheel 17” X 3.5” " ?? Then I figured the 500quid would be better spent on improving ability through tracktime or Magners. Guess what I chose?

Drinking Magners while riding around a track by any chance
Would explain a few things

Maybe the wording should be changed to "originally fiited by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:20
Mille

To a certain extent balancing, expecially on the Class B engines is not worth the expense as they do not rev that high anyway and are somewhat overengineered for 52bhp.

That is an opinion, nothing more. And at the end of the day there is a bhp limit anyway......
Old 14-Jan-2009, 20:53
GTL

Mood: 2008 Desmodue Class B champion
Just to add my own thoughts on this subject,

I dont see myself that David will have anything better than someone else will have.

The rules are designed to be fair to people and designed so that no one person can have an unfair advantage to somebody else.

David hasn't got anything in his engine that would not have come out of the factory in another bike on a different day of the week.
Its just that some engines are better than others as some will have fractionaly lighter parts, thats just the way it is. Its luck of the draw but all David has done is to turn his engine from a slower one with slightly heavier parts into one of the better engines.

I dont see the problem with that, as someone could go out tomorrow and buy an engine thats never been apart before that has a lighter crank than his but it would still be a standard engine.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 21:09
Mille
Bikes: Super Twin 800; DD B; S2R 1000

Mood: DD class B
So balancing actually reduces the chances of engine failure. You don't need to do it but once you open you engine it would be daft not to do it, as long as you keep within the factory weight tolerance limit. An alternative as somebody suggested would be to buy another engine atogether, play and pray...