Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 01-Mar-2004, 07:26
500SD

Mood: mmmm....yellow!
Goold old BBC again.........

they show Superbikes on BBC2, yet it still fails to get a mention on the news. It always annoys me when they say "& thats all the sport" - its not!!!!
This morning, Paula Radcliffe finished second in some race somewhere in the world & that made the news. Yet, toseland finished first yesterday, but strangely enough, no mention.
I think it will get the same coverage in a few years as the current interest that Rugby enjoys & everyone will be a hanger-on/ biker expert.

A few years away yet I think!
Old 01-Mar-2004, 07:51
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
Worse still is all the coverage of the sad tossers at the Oscar's or such dross.
Old 01-Mar-2004, 08:04
500SD

bike racing never gets the coverage it deserves, i remember a few years back when foggy turned up at the bbc sports personality of the year when he had just won the wsb and hardly got a mention..but the olympic shooting team had a full story done with interviews etc...
i bet if you asked the average person on the street who doug lampkin is, they would not have a clue !!
F1 gets most of the motorsport coverage in the media, but in recent years it has drivers who are not even really good enough to be in it, but because they have a few million in sponsorship, they get a drive.....at least we know that they guys who race on two wheels are there because they are the best in the world at it ........i just think that in the eyes of the media, motorcycling in general will always have the "thug element " about it that has existed since the 50`s and maybe thats why its frowned upon...
its all james dean and marlon brandos fault !
Old 01-Mar-2004, 12:19
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
At least you got to see race 1 , here in Scotland BBC1 were showing football in the afternoon so we got Eastenders shown on BBC2 intead of race 1 in the morning
Old 02-Mar-2004, 09:51
everton

Quote:
At least you got to see race 1 , here in Scotland BBC1 were showing football in the afternoon so we got Eastenders shown on BBC2 intead of race 1 in the morning

Get Eurosport mate...............both races with excellent coverage live. And Supersport as well. At least they seem to embrace the sport.............MotoGP as well.
Old 02-Mar-2004, 10:11
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by everton
Get Eurosport mate

This is pretty much my opinion too - if you go the extra and get Sky sports, you'll get BSB thrown in too.

The good thing with Sky and Eurosport is that they won't bump their schedules just to show EastEnders!!
Old 02-Mar-2004, 12:26
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
this was the reply to an e-mail that I sent to BBC Scotland :

Thank you for your comments regarding the coverage of the WSB.

We are very sorry that BBC Scotland's schedule commitments meant we did not carry the first race of the WSB championships yesterday. The advice we were given at the stage of planning Sunday's output was that the event would be featured again in the afternoon. It is most unusual for Grandstand to start as early as 1045, and this very much reduced the options available to us to place the drama omnibuses. Our current coverage of live football most Sundays on BBC1 Scotland reduces the availability of weekend slots for scheduling other output, which is why we frequently have the drama repeats on BBC2. Far from being schedule fillers, the Sunday editions of the "soaps" are for many fans the first and only chance they have to watch the week's episodes, and, once established, the Sunday offering becomes an expectation with that sector of the audience. The BBC cannot assume that everyone owns or has access to a video recorder.

In coming weeks, the Sunday Grandstand pattern appears to revert to its more usual lunchtime start, so we do not currently anticipate any further disruption on BBC Scotland to the Superbikes coverage.

Once again, please accept our apologies that your enjoyment of the event was affected.

Yours sincerely

Tina Kekewich
BBC SCOTLAND

Not actually seeing race one affected my enjoyment of it quite a bit since you ask Tina
Old 02-Mar-2004, 13:08
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmmm...I'm with you Mr YIFE.

I've only just bought a telly again after living without one (through choice) for a couple of years. I'm begining to wonder why I bothered.

You see, the people that have been round my house will know why NTL haven't got the slightest interest in running cable to a tucked away group of just 3 houses. I also live in a conservation area and have trees with a preservation order on them blocking the line of sight for a satelite receiver. The Sky installer took one look at them and couldn't even be bothered to get his ladders from the van before phoning back and cancelling my order (apparently they can do that unilaterally if there are possible technical problems - or more likely if they can't be bothered to carry their ladders 100 yds to a remote house).

So I am completely at the mercy of the terrestrial channels.

In the time I've been away from the box, the output of the terrestrial channels seems to have dumbed down to an incredible degree. Wall to wall soaps, game shows, house and garden makeovers, not to mention the glut of truly abysmal reality shows...

And the sports output.......Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh....

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit