Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 08-Apr-2004, 14:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Apparently it\'s my fault!!

I don't know whether anyone else saw this, but in today's paper I came across an article entitled "Rise in motorcyclists blamed for the failure to reduce road deaths". Reading the article the following is worthy of comment:

"Mr Jamieson (transport minister) said that one of the main reasons why the death rate had stuck at about 3,400 was the popularity of high-performance motorcycles. Almost a fifth of people who died on the roads in 2002 were motorcyclists. The largest proportion of these were so-called 'born-again' bikers, men in 30s and 40s riding machines over 500cc. A strategy on cutting motorcycle deaths will be announced in the autumn".

So there you have it, I fit into that age bracket and ride a high-performance bike, so I'm to blame for the increase in the number of deaths. What seems to be left out is the reduction in the numbers of traffic police leading to an increase in the number of drivers speeding and also drink driving. Of course this will have no impact at all, it is after all, firmly and squarely my fault.
Old 08-Apr-2004, 14:42
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
I don't think you can take all the blame webbyc....it's my fault as well!
Old 08-Apr-2004, 14:53
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Yeah, lets just blame webby
Old 08-Apr-2004, 14:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I'm in that age and bike group also, but have never given up the bikes so I'm not a born again.

Surely part of the blame has to be the large increase in traffic on the roads caused by the reduced speed limits. One journey I do on a regular bassis use to take me 35 mins sticking to the speed limits it now takes 55 mins on a quiet evening. Now if I left home at 19.55 and arrived at 20:30 I wouldn't meet those who started their journeys at 20:35, now as I arrive around 20:50 I will meet those drivers on the road after 20:30 which obviously increases my chance of getting involved in a accident with them, when originally it was a impossibility.
So maybe the authorities should accept some of the blame for the increase in accident figures
Old 08-Apr-2004, 15:06
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Kev, all that proves is that there are Lies, Dam Lies, and Statistics.
But since Webby has generously offered to take the blame who am I to stop him, and anyway it can't be MY fault 'cause I'm older than that....................

John
Old 08-Apr-2004, 15:16
Bevel Head

Mood: Stressed as usual!
I wonder how they established they were"born again" bikers - did they ask them posthumously about their riding experience. What is a "born again biker" anyway?
Old 08-Apr-2004, 15:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Webby - your'e a bloke, so its definately your fault

C
Old 08-Apr-2004, 16:14
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I always knew there was something I didn't like about you Chris. I'll blame you too
Old 08-Apr-2004, 16:34
Ducati Corse

Most of the articles i've read appear to say that the majority of bike accidents these days are single vehicle accidents, typically the rider loosing control on a left hand bend and drifting into oncoming traffic.
Thats certainly what i have noticed as i've been out and about. I cant think of a single bike accident that i've seen recently that has involved another vehicle. I'm not saying that they dont happen, of course they do.

I live in an area thats popular with bikes so we tend to get more than our fair share of incidents.
Old 08-Apr-2004, 16:38
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

I'm just a "born biker" as never rode before I got to 30-ish. Think I'm absolved of all blame on this one

Issue here is one of public choice, is it not? Theres no denying it, biking is bloody dangerous and we all know the ultimate price for our hobby/passion/sport. Making a cut to an absolute target like the "number of road deaths" is to all intents and purposes saying that the Govt intends to curb our individual choice in the matter.

Yep, theres a cost to road deaths.. someone has to close the roads and clear up afterwards, but surely this cant be the reason for such an intention - we could save much more by, say, not going to war so often.

Nope, all smacks of the same old story...Govt chases votes by disadvantaging a small section of society in order to brag to the majority.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit