Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Sep-2004, 21:29
Big Twin

Did it need bleeding?

Thought today that my front brake wasn't all that it might be; lever travel, whilst not up to the bars by any means, wasn't as solid as I know it usually is/should be. The brake was last bled about 4000m ago, which doesn't seem long to me.

Still, I bought this spiffing new vacuum brake bleeder a while back and had been waiting for an opportunity to use it, so I thought, let's give it a go. Decided it'd be as quick and easy to remove the front fairing, partly to get the plastic out of the way, and partly to ease access to the reservoir cover screws.
So, did that, and removed the cover (an after-market one, cos the original had got very corroded). Connected the bleeder up to the nipple, only to find that the tiny 8mm open-ended spanner I had didn't offer enough leverage to undo the bleed nipple. Remembered that my 8mm ring spanner is in the car. Which is in dock, in the garage in town. Dammit!

But wait!
Trying the brake now, it's as solid as a rock!

What I reckon had happened is that there's been no air leakage through the reservoir cover, and it just needed undoing! I seem to recall years back, reservoir covers had a pin-hole in them. I dug out the OE cover, and although there's no pinhole, there's some vertical grooves in the inner edge of the cover (where the thread would be, if the cover screwed on, which it doesn't. IYSWIM). Now I don't know whether the replacement cover has these grooves, or some equivalent (I've re-assembled it all by now), but I reckon that's what's happened. I may get into the habit of loosening the cover off every once in a while, now.

Does all this sound plausible to you guys?

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by moto748]