Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-May-2009, 23:26
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

My first Triathlon - raising money for an amazing charity

On 6th June I’m aiming to complete my first Triathlon, at Blenheim Palace. It's a 750m swim, 20k cycle, topped off with a nice little 5k run. The swim stage is going to be hard enough, as three months ago I could barely do 25m in the pool and the swim at Blenheim is “open water” (in a lake, basically), but then to make matters worse it’s followed by the cycle and run.

I’m doing it for two, very unequally important reasons; firstly, to prove a point that having hit 40, I’ve still “got it” (whatever that is!), but mainly to raise some funds for the “Friends Of The Neonatal Unit At St Georges”, (http://www.friendsnnu.org.uk/).

The NNU at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London cares for some of the most vulnerable and premature babies in the South East in its intensive care and high-dependency units. Over 500 new-born babies every year are looked after by the medical and nursing staff; my God-Daughter, Isabel, spent many months at the NNU when she was first born and wouldn't be with us today but for the NNU.

The Friends charity was set up to raise extra funds to pay for vital equipment and staff training that can’t be covered by the NHS alone. It can cost up to £1000 a day to care for a new-born in intensive care, and without the extra funding from the Friends less little ones can be cared for.

As much as I have grumbled about my back-to-starters swimming lessons, getting up earlier than the sparrows to go cycling, or bemoaned my aged, aching knees, nothing I do compares with the effort these small babies show in getting through their ordeals, or the sheer determination of their parents to pull them through. It can be truly exhausting, but life-giving.

It's not much to ask then that I put myself through all the training for such an amazing cause and I’m asking that you please sponsor me for as much as you can. I’m doing it through Justgiving as that means the charity gets your money faster and the 25% in Gift Aid is added to your donation. My page is www.justgiving.com/jasonboswell - please click on the link and pledge what you can. I aiming to raise £750 and I can’t do it without your generous help.

Thanks all,

Jason
Old 30-May-2009, 09:10
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin

Gentle reminder

One week to go now... Today I'm pikcing up the road racing bike that I have hired for the week - couldnt justify spending £00s on a new bike. And tomorrow morning I'm doing the last of my practice swims in open water (which I loath!!!).

Anyhow, all this effort is for a wonderfully worthy cause... I've lost several kilos and can now fit in my leathers this summer!!

No, no, seriously, the charity that I am raising money for literally does save lives. Of babies born too early to fend for themselves and who need constant intensive care to pull through. Read above for more.

If you could find a couple of quid, or perhaps even £5 or £10, then I would be enormously grateful. Like I say, it's very rare that I get off my arse to do something charitable, so I'm doing all I can this time around. It's easy to donate through my page on www.justgiving.com/jasonboswell (and there's the benefit of Gift Aid also), but if you prefer to pledge cash then please just drop me a PM.

I'll update everyone on how I do next weekend. I'm almost looking forward to it!!

J--
Old 30-May-2009, 09:32
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBoswell
.Today I'm pikcing up the road racing bike that I have hired for the week - couldnt justify spending £00s on a new bike.

Correct. That money is much better spent on a Ducati race bike.
Old 30-May-2009, 10:24
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Brave? Naive? Stupid? - a great cause though, good luck mate
Tim
Old 30-May-2009, 11:02
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
You hired a bike?! ok.
Old 30-May-2009, 15:40
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
Brave? Naive? Stupid? - a great cause though, good luck mate
Tim

Cheers Tim, very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
You hired a bike?! ok.

Yeah, just a little easier, TP.

Knowing you, I'm sure if I'd have asked you would have lent me yours, but this way I've got it for a week so I can get to grips with drop handlebars again for the first time in a couple of decades. Plus, if I crash it, or it get stolen then I'm dealing with a store, and not a mate!!

Will be hitting Richmond Park early evening
Old 30-May-2009, 15:41
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillc
Correct. That money is much better spent on a Ducati race bike.

A pair of NCR cams, perhaps? Or a nice ally rear subframe?
Old 31-May-2009, 13:31
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBoswell
Yeah, just a little easier, TP.

Knowing you, I'm sure if I'd have asked you would have lent me yours, but this way I've got it for a week so I can get to grips with drop handlebars again for the first time in a couple of decades. Plus, if I crash it, or it get stolen then I'm dealing with a store, and not a mate!!

Will be hitting Richmond Park early evening

I'd already said you could borrow it. But I understand why you hired.

Good luck with the triathlon.
Old 08-Jun-2009, 23:52
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin

I'd like to say a big thank you to every one of you who sponsored my triathlon endeavors this last weekend. The total raised is standing at over £1,100 at the moment, which is just amazing too be honest, and I'm so proud of all our efforts. There's still time to make a donation if you haven't done so yet - the easiest way is via my justgiving page at www.justgiving.com/jasonboswell.

I completed the race in 1 hour 36 minutes, which is around the time I was expecting for a first timer. The enjoyable moments were few and far, as the rain lashed down the whole race and stringing the three events together for the first time really tested my resolve. Surprisingly, the lake was nice and warm, and after the initial burst of energy when the race started I quickly tried to settle into a stroke that I could keep up for the whole 750 swim. Back in January I set myself the goal of doing the whole thing front crawl, without stopping for a crafty breather, and I was determined to do just that. At times it felt as if I was going backwards, but after 17 minutes of slogging it out in the water a helpful hand extended down from the jetty to pull me out of the lake - I could have kissed the lass who helped me out, but my I could hardly stand and no sooner had I found my feet than I was unzipped out of my wetsuit, pushed through the shower, and sent on my way to the first transition. All very undignified.

A long slog up the path to the first transition, I found my little pile of sodden things and set about trying to get the wetsuit off and some dry-ish cycling clothes on. Not easy, especially in the pouring rain, and if I ever do another triathlon it's in the first transition that I will find time to gain. And so off on the 20k cycle, which was tougher than any bike ride I have ever done before. It would have helped if I had done the hard hours in the saddle in my training, but I was so involved in learning to swim properly that I neglected the cycle training bit - I mean, how hard can it be, really? Anyhow, determined to make up some time on my training partner, Rich, who I knew couldn't be that far in front of me, I put shoe to pedal and went for it. I passed loads of folks on really expensive cycles with all the gear, which is always nice, and in turn was passed by my share of folks on even more expensive cycles.

And, having done three laps of what would otherwise have been a pleasant cycle, I came into the second transition to go out for the run. All that's required in T2 (as it's called) is to dispense with the bike and helmet, and then leg it. Or hobble it in my case. The dreaded cramp had set in, as I thought it would, and, like a fallen hero, I urged Rich (whom I had now caught up with) to go on without me. He did of course, and I made my way gingerly around the first of the 5 kilometers trying to run through the pain. Feeling much better at the 2k mark I cracked on a bit and steadily made up the pace until I had once again caught up with Richard and we rounded out the 5k run in much the same state we had started our training back in the dark winter months - totally exhausted and barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

At times during the race I swore I would never do another Triathlon (mainly during the swim, quite a lot on the cycle, and a couple of times on the run) but looking back now it's been a great experience. I've learnt to swim properly for starters, and, in common with many men of my age I'm now lusting after a proper road bike with drop handlebars (as we once did when we were 10). Oh, and I've lost a few pounds, which is always a bonus.

And of course we've raised a few pounds for a wonderful cause. As I wrote on my justgiving page, my efforts in training, and now the race, simply pale in comparison with the effort and determination that the small babies, their parents and the nursing staff go through every single day in the neo-natal intensive care unit at St Georges hospital. And so it really is great that we are able to donate over £1,100 to the Friends of NNU to help with not just purchasing vital equipment, but with all the work that goes on at the unit including training new staff and supporting parents during their child's time at the unit and long after.

If you haven't yet sponsored me, then please take a few minutes if you can spare a few pounds. My page is www.justgiving.com/jasonboswell and its easy to do. If if you have already, then big thanks to you all.

Until next year... ;-)

J--

IMG_2007.jpg <--- that's me on the right, btw

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit