Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-Jun-2004, 18:44

Shame Vman isn\'t around to see this but...

I went on a Bikesafe course in North London the other day, to try and shave some more insurance premium off.

There were about 7 coppers running the course, and all struck me as decent, reasonable people - and total petrol heads too. Happy with the more 'progressive' of us to ride as we felt natural, as long as we didn't act like idiots (fair enough I'd say).

Now I can get up to 10% my next insurance premium.

OK, OK, you can now tell eveyone all your anti-police stories again, but I recommend the course to you - £25 quid, which includes a slap up meal in the Ace Cafe too.

Anyone else been on the course?

Cheers
Ned
Old 10-Jun-2004, 19:05
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Bikesafe

Hi Ned
how do you book the course and do they come further south?
thanks ian
Old 11-Jun-2004, 12:28
Mille

Ian,

I did the Bikesafe course at Peterborough and I would echo Ned's words. There were three classroom sessions over a three week period during which extremely down to earth police riders made presentations on positioning, overtaking, group riding and much more besides plus videos and q & a's. This was then followed by an assessed ride with a traffic officer through the twisties which by the way, demonstrated how quick and smooth these guys are. They stressed that they didn't care too much if you turned up for the ride with a loud can or small plate but they would do you if your bike was untaxed because that would be "Extracting the Michael". Their purpose is to reduce the number of times that they have to pick body parts off the road and having to inform someone that their beloved has been fatally injured. Seems pretty sound to me.
I would thoroughly recommend the course although I have to say that my insurance company did not recognise it as a discount maker. Enjoy nevertheless!

Mike
Old 11-Jun-2004, 12:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I spoke to the Essex lot late last year with a view to getting all the Essex DSC peeps onto the course. They seemed really up for it, and we left it at that.

Unfortunately the powers that be decided not to run the campaign this year, so nothing ever came of it.

Hopefully it will be back next year as I would still like to get our region involved.
Old 11-Jun-2004, 13:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Dorking police are looking into doing the course to
Old 11-Jun-2004, 13:13
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
There is a website:

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/
Old 11-Jun-2004, 14:34
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
If you've got a local IAM motorcycle group get in touch with them. We run quite a few events like the Bikesafe schemes in conjunction with West Sussex Constabulary, quite often at Bury Hill.
Old 11-Jun-2004, 22:12

Good to hear you did it too Michael J.

Mine was just the one (fairly long) day, with all classroom/presentation stuff in between two assessed rides. Two punters to one copper. The other punter I was paired up with rode a 'trick' (ouch) GXR600, with a loud pipe and a small plate - no reaction from the coppers. However, when he asked for a recommendation for a 'wheelie school', and then said that he thought the North Circular speed limit should be 80mph, he revealed himself as a total ****.

I was amazed how reserved the copper was... didn't bat an eyelid, except to say he didn't recommend wheelies on open roads, as it would get you nicked. Strange thing is, this berk then rode his trick Gixer down the 70mph bit of the A40... at 45mph, and afterwards said he was a bit frightened of riding in the wet (the road was damp, but not raining).

Needless to say, there were lots of nice comments about my 749. Even from a guy who road a huge Goldwing with 10 grand's worth of extra satnav, CD, aircon, fridge/freezer stuff on it.

Ned
Old 12-Jun-2004, 11:55
Mille

Hi Vman

Hope you get to keep your licence long enough to drive your Volvo.

SA
Old 12-Jun-2004, 12:39
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by vman1000cc
Hello everybody , I still dont like the Bikesafe/IAM namby pamby stuff, Not extreme enuff....

Just a bit too sensible for me, If I want to be sensible I`ll buy a Volvo or something...

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by vman1000cc]

Hey! Welcome to the Vman, you've been yorkied
Here to stay this time?
Nothing wrong in having a Volvo, so long as you stick to the Mways and leave the REAL roads free :P

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit